1753479 Members
4842 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO 2 slowness through Onboard Administrator

WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

iLO 2 slowness through Onboard Administrator

Although I have seen one or two other postings regarding poor performance from HP's remote management tools, I don't believe my issue is related. I am using BL460c blades within a c7000 enclosure. The unit has 2 Onboard Administrators and 12 blades.

I am experiencing a persistent slow response on both CLI and GUI interaction with the iLO console. I have tried connecting from different clients, using Java and ActiveX consoles, and using Active Directory and local usernames when getting in to OA. I have tried to connect through the OA direct to the server's iLO IP without any difference in performance. The OAs and iLO processors are running current firmware. I have also used both Auto/Auto for the blade's iLO and the switch it is routed into as well as 100/Full.

The speed of the console seems to be OK on occasion for short periods of time but for the most part any time the display changes it lags and sometimes locks up for 20 - 30 seconds.

Does anyone have ideas to troubleshoot this connection? I am willing to try most anything at this point!

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Have you come across this advisory ?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00879409

Regards,
James.
acartes
Honored Contributor

Note that the advisory indicates to leave c-Class blade iLO network link to "automatic" link duplex and speed negotiation.

Did the network settings impact the symptom you are seeing?

Are you running current iLO 2 and OA firmware?

iLO 2 firmware:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/index.html

OA firmware:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/serveroptions/us/
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the ideas, however the advisory applies only to iLO 2 firmware older than version 1.30 (I am using 1.35 - the newest available). Also, it indicates the iLO is plugged into a cClass network switch.

My Onboard Administrator and Virtual Connect modules are plugged into the same Cisco device and are on the same VLAN. I have tried accessing the iLO console both on the same and on separate subnets without any difference in the performance.

I see OA f/w version 2.02a is out and I am currently on 2.01. None of the corrected issues with the new version relates to me and I am hesitant to apply the new firmware at this time.

Does anyone else have ideas about the slowness?
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Perhaps I should also mention... this enclosure needed a midplane replacement about 2 weeks ago. I don't think it had any impact on the performance, but I thought it might be of note to anyone considering cClass blade enclosures.
acartes
Honored Contributor

Is the switch configured for auto/auto to the OA? All of the management links (switch-OA, OA-iLO) should be auto/auto
acartes
Honored Contributor

WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

The situation has resolved itself. I wish I could provide more insight into the solution but I surely don't have any!