108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLOs-OBA Management VLAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
DonSmith0271
Occasional Advisor

iLOs-OBA Management VLAN

I have a question about setting up a management VLAN for our C class enclosures. Here is our configuration as our networking group has it setup. We are wanting to have a seperate VLAN for the iLOs and one for each of the OBAs. We have the OBAs configured and working but when we setup the VLAN for the iLOs, they are not getting their DHCP addresses.

What is the flow of IP traffic to the iLOs, through the OBAs, signal backplane to them directly, or through the Ciscos. Can they have seperate VLANs for the iLOs or do they need to be on the same one as the OBAs?
3 REPLIES 3
HEM_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: iLOs-OBA Management VLAN

Unfortunately, the ILO's and OA need to be on the same VLAN. All ILO traffic flows through the OA. You can't specify a VLAN tag for the ILO's as the OA will not accept the tagged frames currently. OA and ILO traffic does not flow through the Cisco switches at all. The only way to get to the OA's and ILO's is via the OA/ILO port on the OA module.

The same requirement is the case for Fa0 on the Catalyst 3020 switches. This interface (if used) must be on the same VLAN as the OA and ILO's. You can however shutdown Fa0 on the 3020 and use an SVI (switched virtual interface) in the VLAN of your choice.
DonSmith0271
Occasional Advisor

Our network staff was looking at some documentation and indicated that he thought the ilos could have non-routable addresses on them, 192.168 numbers. We tried using 192.168.1.10-25 assigned through EPIPA and then when I tried using the webconsole through the OBA's web interface it wouldn't allow me to connect to the iLOs from another network.

Can I assign non-routable addess to the iLOs and use the OBAs interface to connect and administer the servers through iLO?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

When Onboard Administration (OA) launches you to an individual iLO, it does not remain in the network stream, it refers you on. You need to have end-to-end communications capability between your browser and the individual iLO.