6106 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing XenServer-HP V5.5.0 Edition on BL460-G6

Robert Toth
Advisor

Installing XenServer-HP V5.5.0 Edition on BL460-G6

Hi all,

Having a major pain in the butt with getting XenServer up and running on this combination.

I've found the suggested work-around (adding the 'pci=nommconf' to the boot string on both the boot.gz and vmlinuz parameter sets) but it still won't go. It takes forever at detecting devices, then finally gets to the first setup menu where the keyboard input is non-responsive. I've tried this both using VC and a local console - same issue.

I've managed to get it running on one BL460-G6, after updating the firmware to the June release for it. Did exactly the same thing on this one, yet it won't go. So can somebody please tell me what are the things I am missing here? Anything, like minimum firmware releases, extra boot parameters? This XenServer is certified on this platform, and there is next to nothing saying if anything special is needed to get it going (meaning it doesn't, I guess). So I'm stumped.

If it's important, I am installing to an Internal 4GB HP High-Speed USB key, so that my local drives are free for VM's. It's also attached to a 4100 SAN for extra storage if needed.

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

why you are using Xen server from HP ???

in my case i always, install it directly from the wendor CITRIX XEN server, there are more updates as in HP, and on the suport forums is really lot of tips and advices.

mikap
Robert Toth
Advisor

Why? because it's a no-brainer... all the HP agents are installed, the PVC is activated, all supported by one place - on both HW & SW so doesn't matter what goes wrong, I can get help for it - even if I'm not the one doing the fixing. Not that I need to justify my selection to anyone either, except to my employer...

Still in the process of figuring out how to get the license registered for support tho, which is why I came here in the meanwhile looking for some help.

I have to say that answer of yours wasn't too helpful. Would you happen to have any actual helpful hints on my issue here?

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

Not that I need to justify my selection to anyone either, except to my employer...

= yes you have right, i just tell you my opinion, about this solution, so please don't be angry.

sorry again for my answer.

mikap
Robert Toth
Advisor

Michal,

I apologize for my short answer. I'm under a lot of pressure to get this done at the moment, and it came out wrong.

Thanks for your opinion - I'm just in need of helpful suggestions or answers for my situation at the moment.

Regards,
Robert
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I just loaded on a BL465c G6 and it loaded fine. If I can get access to a BL460 G6 today I'll see what happens. On thing I've seen lately on a few new systems is for whatever reason the console output switches over to the serial port during the installation. The first time I saw this, the console appeared unresponsive as your describing. I just happened to launch VSP, I hit a key to see what would happen and was able to finish the installation over the VSP session.

I've never been able to root cause the issue as it is hard to reproduce.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Robert Toth
Advisor

Michal:

Thanks for the suggestions and the links. I've actually already seen those two articles, as well as about 12 others and I have tried every variation of the 'pci=nommconf', 'noapic', 'acpi=off', etc that I could think of, as well as a few others. This particular blade is just being stubborn.

Jimmy:

Now THAT'S an interesting idea, and one I hadn't thought of. If you do get a chance, please do let me know.

What I've done is use a BL465 G1 and loaded up the installation to the USB key. The BL465-G1 works just fine for the installation using defaults. Then I stopped at the reboot, took the freshly minted key from the 465, and placed it into the 460-G6 and let it reboot. Voila. No problem at all - came right up, self-configured itself, and now it's up and running as it should.

So whatever difference there is between the installation kernel and the HP OEM kernel resolves the main functional problem - just need to figure out what that is so we can back-port it to the install kernel.

In any case, I'm going to create a few spare keys with the 5.5.0 installation using the BL465 (seeing as the install works on that one), and my next deployments should go without a hitch. I've even got a few DL360 G6's coming in the next couple of weeks, I can try the same process on them. I'll report back on the findings at that point.

Thanks to both of you for the input. I'll be awarding points for the help shortly - just going to try a couple of additional things first to close out this request.

Rgds,
Robert
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I was able to test on a BL460c G6

I'm loading HP XenServer 5.5.0 via PXE boot, but that shouldn't matter.

When the system initially loads it appears to stop and the last line displayed on the screen is Freeing unused kernel memory

After about a 3 - 4 minute wait the Select Keymap screen finally appears.

If you have the virtual serial port (VSP) running from iLO when you boot the system, after the Freeing Unused Kernel Memory displays, you then see

Init started: BusyBox v1.71
Detecting Hardware..

Again it takes 3 or 4 minutes before you get the Select Keymap screen

The hardware detection did not take as long on the BL465c G6, but I have seen the hardware detection take this long on the BL490c G6

System specs
BL460c G6
ROM date 7/25/09
iLO2 version 1.78
2 Quad Core Xeon
49 Gb RAM

Citrix/HP Build 15119p

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Robert Toth
Advisor

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the info. This is proving most helpful. I should update my situation a bit further.

I have the same specs (BIOS rev, ILO rev) with a single quad-core 12GB 460-G6.

And I did try waiting - and as you said, it does eventually get to the keymap screen. But it won't take any input. It's either not recognizing the keyboard directly, nor from VC.

The only thing I haven't yet tried is what you suggested earlier - using the virtual serial console port.

This is why I was trying to use the 'pci-nommconf' parameter - get rid of the PCI bus evaluation process, and just use the BIOS stored values to proceed. But this one Blade ain't working.

Maybe I should try turning off the serial console altogether as a test, forcing it to use a single source input only, or whatever. The console works up to the detection point, that much I know - I can reconfigure to my hearts content. And it works post-install in Xen, so whatever is locking it out during the install can definitely be avoided...