1748259 Members
3415 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installing XenServer-HP V5.5.0 Edition on BL460-G6

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Installing XenServer-HP V5.5.0 Edition on BL460-G6

Are you using the dongle plugged into the front of the server, or are you using remote console in iLO? The testing I did this morning was all via remote console. I won't be in the lab until Friday.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Robert Toth
Advisor

Hi Jimmy,

Sorry for the delay - ran into a bunch of other items on the daily "to-do" list that needed to get done in a hurry.

To answer your question, it was BOTH ways. Doesn't matter how much I tried to boot up, it just stopped taking keyboard input. Really strange.

Anyways - I got around it by using a BL465-G1 (I have 5 of those). I simply ran the install to the internal USB key up to the point of it wanting to reboot to begin the configuration process.

At that point, power down - extract the key and placed it into the BL460-G6. Came up a treat - no problems at all. It self-configured and all is well. I did have an issue getting the G6 into the resource pool I created from the first G6 - it kept on telling me the processor type was different (I checked, it's identical right down to the stepping - as it should, as I had ordered and received 3 identical G6's for this). So I inserted the blade into the pool using the CLI xe command to force it (knowing that it was the same), and it's been running fine ever since.

All of this to say - something about the installer kernel isn't happy with the latest hardware - regardless of whatever switches you use. But the primary O/S kernel with the HP agents, etc pre-installed works just fine with standard settings. Which, BTW: is the identical image load you'd receive on the key if you ordered it that way as well, and it would work right out of the box in that case.

So if someone with a little more free time, and the requisite sources could look into this, and get the installation kernel fixed up to match the main one - we'd have a much easier and simpler out-of-the-box installation that works.

Jimmy, thanks again for the input. Points awarded for your valuable assistance.

Brgds,
Robert
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Glad you finally got it all working. I loaded both the retail version From Citrix, and the HP version of 5.5 on both the BL460 G6 and the BL465 G6. Other than the few minute pause while it figures out the hardware I was able to install with no problems. I installed on both 2 ways, usaing iLO remote console, and also using VSP. I never ran into your unresponsive keyboard issue.

The only difference is I'm installing to a hard drive instead of the USB key.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
NSN SyVe Team PT

Hi there,

I have a simillar problem.
A colleague mine, have try out Citrix XenServer on some Dell Workstations, but since i am the architecture admin, i have provided a solution with 3 BL465 G6, which one with 48GB RAM(6x 8GB)DDR2 - 1066, 2x CPU OPT 2435, the internal SA E200i with 128MB BBC, and for external SA P700m with 512MB connected to a MSA2312sa.

First issue: PVC, almost have anythng, neither ACU;

Second issue: i have already the xencenter on a DL360 G6, a pool, the 3 machines, the storage link see the hypervisor servers but none is seeing the p700 as hba, neither msa storage.

Explaining: i am able to create a SR (by cli only) as shared and connected to the 3 hosts, but them no HA;
multipath doesn't put c0d1 and c0d3 as same lun (device by-id is only showing the active points, however the msa is using ULP active-active);

The worst: material arrival at 27th ├Г pril, however, they are refusing giving to me support cause for some reason, we don't have yet the SAID, if tomorrow, i don't get this to work, as i am at Portugal, we will return all equipment.
NSN SyVe Team PT

Multipath / High - Availability issues as been solved by myself:

- 1st Workaround -> See release notes about HPDMmultipath-4.4.0; copy the device list to a none denied device on multipath.conf (some changes has been applied);

- 2nd Workaround -> since i was not able to install package (all the time saying read-only filesystem), copy the hp_scsi_id binary from bin folder, from the tar.gz of HPDMmultipath-4.4.0 (27th April 2010), rename it, and put on a folder with permissions (in this case i see that the compatible one is the binary hp_scsi_id.rhel5.i386).

Use this commands: (on cli is where only possible to create a SR with type LVM / LVMOHBA / LVMOISCSI).

xe sr-create type=lvmohba content-type=user shared=true name-label=LunHA device-config:SCSIid=3600c0ff000da81d20f78e54b01000000

it will return an uuid, in this case this value e89d174f-a229-0be9-3c37-76d710182f0d

xe sr-param-set shared=true uuid=e89d174f-a229-0be9-3c37-76d710182f0d

INFO FROM MULTIPATH.CONF

device
{
vendor "HP"
product "MSA2012sa|MSA2312sa|MSA2324sa"
getuid_callout "/root/hp_scsi_id -g -u -n -s /block/%n"
hardware_handler "0"
path_selector "round-robin 0"
failback immediate
rr_weight uniform
rr_min_io 100