BladeSystem - General
1748186 Members
4241 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is there any software configuration for multiple enclosures?

minirin
Occasional Contributor

Is there any software configuration for multiple enclosures?

Is there any software configuration (VCM) for multiple enclosures needed? Or is it simply a manner of plugging in a enet cable from one server down port to the other server uplink port?
5 REPLIES 5
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Some more details please?

Which VC modules. Which firmware? Are the modules stacked?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

In general if you look at the documents you can stack as many as 4 enclosures together in one domain if the modules are stacked.

Virtual Connect enterprise Manager which runs on a windows systems allows you to define multiple domains for many enclosures on a windows system and then it uploads the configuration to the actual modules.

I suggest that you consder attending the 3 day virtual connect course that HP has available to provide that training.

There are also many virtual connect whitepapers with many scenarios that may match what you are trying to do at

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3552695#6
minirin
Occasional Contributor

All I am doing is documenting the installation at this point. What I am hoping to find out is if you have to specify with the vc software if you use more than one enclosure. For e.g. if you use two enclosures and keep it on one vlan, then I suppose you don't have to do anything, is that correct?
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hard to explain in some sentences but if you do good stacking of the enclosures (up to 4 supported) yes the config of a VLAN will be transparent on all 4 enclosures...

But there are some stacking rules to foloow which are explained in the training mentioned above or in the PDFs on the HP website as a start...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

1. You could provide some points for some of the suggestions
2. You could consider attending the course

The following link is a whitepaper entitled
HP Virtual Connect Ethernet Cookbook:
Single and Multi Enclosure Domain (Stacked)
Scenarios

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01990371/c01990371.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN