New Discussion

Re: Issue changing IP addresses on interconnect bays

SOLVED
Go to solution
sokak_123
Occasional Advisor

Issue changing IP addresses on interconnect bays

Hi,

We have three c7000 chassis in linked mode with a single Virtual Connect Manager domain. For whatever reason, the third chassis has both Flex-10 modules receiving DHCP addresses. I would like to change this to two static addresses.

Changing a single address under the Enclosure Settings -> Enclosure Bay IP Addressing -> Interconnect Bays tab gives me errors for the other tabs:

"An invalid device netmask was entered for bay 1
An invalid device netmask was entered for bay 2
An invalid device netmask was entered for bay 3

An invalid device netmask was entered for bay 16B"

No errors are listed for the Interconnect Bay tab and the IP address does not stick.

I am making no changes to the other bays.

The Onboard Administrator firmware is 3.31 across all three chassis.

Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

Cheers for any advice,

Dave

5 REPLIES 5
jamamushi
Occasional Advisor

It sounds like that the iLO IPs of your blades may have the wrong subnet mask configured, because the error is bay 1 through 16, which are your blades. Check out the device bay tab under Enclosure bay IP addressing and see what's configured there. It as to match whatever you are trying to assign to the VC modules. And also scroll all the way to the right and see what the actual assigned IP addresses for the blades iLO are.

sokak_123
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Thanks for the response. :)

The iLO bays are receiving DHCP addresses successfully and have the same subnet as I'd like to assign to the interconnect bays.

After some more poking about with another stand-alone chassis that had the same issues, I've resorted to command line.

The command line interface is successfully saving an IP address when I do:

set ebipa interconnect 10.x.x.x 255.x.x.x 1 (for bay 1 for example)

set ebipa interconnect gateway 10.x.x.x 1 (for bay 1)

Unfortunately, to make it stick will require a reboot of the module when I perform:

enable ebipa interconnect 1

So this will have to wait until a maintenance window for the production environment.

Cheers,

Dave

Mitesh_Shah

Thank you , that worked for me sokak_123

Dan_Stangel

For anyone stumbling on to this issue now (a couple of years after the original post), I too encountered this problem with a C7000 onboard administrator, trying to set the EBIPA ILO addresses.

I was trying to set all of the ILO addresses and "Enable" them all at the same time.  When I did this, I was getting the afore-metnioned errors:

An invalid device netmask was entered for bay 1
An invalid device netmask was entered for bay 2
An invalid device netmask was entered for bay 3

one message for each of the ILOs, server bays, and interconnects.

Finally I tried doing it (via the Onboard Administrator web UI) in TWO steps instead of one:

1) Configure the IP address and other information, but DO NOT check the "Enable" box.  Click Apply.

2) Once those settings are saved, then go back and tick the "Enable" box, and click Apply again.

This worked for me. Hopefully it may help somebody else.

Dan

Aman1
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

We are planning  to change Ip Address of OA and Interconnect bays. Any best practice for same.

Would it impact Device Bays ?

thanks