BladeSystem - General
1748180 Members
4117 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Issues Configuring Blade Switch on c3000/dl465...

tow-eric
Occasional Advisor

Issues Configuring Blade Switch on c3000/dl465...

We have a c3000 blade enclosure with (4) DL465c G5 half height blades with an additional Mezz Card so there are 4 nic ports. It comes with HP's Virtual Connect Switch (4 ports for each blade). We are connecting these to (2) Cisco 3750 switches which are linked. We have created port groups on these for the ESX Servers 1 for the LAN side and 1 for the SAN side.

I put ESX on the first blade and I am having issues trying to get the networking to work. I need it configured so there are 2 VLAN's for the LAN and 1 VLAN for the SAN. From the ESX server I can't even ping the default gateway I get a destination unreachable error. So I am not really sure if I configured something wrong on the Virtual Connect or maybe something isn't configured properly on the Cisco Switch. I am fairly confident the ESX server is configured properly.

Hopefully someone out there is running a similiar environment or might have some knowledge to help out with this.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Re: Issues Configuring Blade Switch on c3000/dl465...

The NICs might not enumerate the way you think. Look at the MAC addresses of the NICs assigned to the Vswitches in VMware, and compare that with what's presented in Virtual Connect. That way you can assure the correct NICs are assigned to the correct Vswitches.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
tow-eric
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I have the NICs correct. I think it is either the way I am configuring the Virtual Connect - like do I use Tunnel VLAN tags or Map VLAN tags?
or it could be the Cisco switch and the port groups. I have channel-group mode on. But maybe it needs to be something different? I am at a loss.
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

You need to use 802.1q for tagged VLANs. If you select tunnel VLANs, all the VLANs will be passed through Virtual Connect without modification. Select Map VLAN tags if you want to pick and choose which VLANs go to which NICs.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP