New Discussion

Re: Issues related to HP c7000 Blade System Enclousre

SOLVED
Go to solution
Waseem-HP
Advisor

Issues related to HP c7000 Blade System Enclousre

I am New to Blade System Technology, Please help me Regarding these Issues:

We have two c7000 Enclousres Installed and there are 4 Blades c460 G1 Installed on Each Encl.

Yesterday we got 8 New Blades HP460 G7 and when i tried to insert these blades into bays it just gives me Orange light and don't power up.

I contacted with HP and They said that i have to Update the firmware for C7000.

I Have no Idea how to Update this Firmware, How to Connect Computer with C7000 Encl to Update this?

And what is USB key and how can i do this with USB Key?

How can i access this C7000 Encl through ILO?

14 REPLIES 14
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Most likely, HP was referring to the c7000 enclosure Onboard Administrator, or OA.  The easiest way to update this is through a web browser.   Here are some basic instructions:

- Determine your enclosure OA IP address - the easiest way to do this is to use the front panel display of the enclosure to display Enclosure Info.

- Use this IP address and login to the OA from a web browser on a computer local to that network.

- From the main window, click on the Active Onboard Administrator item in the menu tree and look for firmware revision.  If you have anything less than version 3.x, you should update it.

To do this, first download the firmware image from hp.com:

> go to www.hp.com/go/oa

> locate and click on Software and Drivers, then Cross Operating System (BIOS,..).  Look for 'BladeSystem c-Class Onboard Adminstrator Firmware'.  Download the file to the system that you access the OA with.

Within the OA, look for 'Firmware Update' under the Active Onboard Administator menu tree.   Here you should see a place where you can browse for a file and apply a new firmware image.

The firmware update will take a few moments and your OA will reset.  This will not affect the servers themselves, but you will lose access to the OA for probably 5 minutes or so.

If you do not have network access you can then use the USB flash drive.  Copy that firmare image to a flash drive and insert the flash drive into the USB port in the active OA module at the rear of the enclosure assembly.  To locate this, refer to the C7000 maintenance guide:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00714237/c00714237.pdf

The OA will detect the USB key and offer that as an option in the Firmware Update page.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Waseem, where are you located?

If you are in the US I can also find you a PreSales contact who can help get you some basic Knowledge Transfer on the c7000, OA, etc.

I am such a resource in the Los Angeles area.

Waseem-HP
Advisor

Thank you too much dear 

You have solved my problem.

I have Done every thing fine, Even OS Installation through ILO.

I have One more Question:

We have two c7000 Enclousres and interlink is Okay, i can see all the bays of the ENCL2 From ENCL1(Master) but i cannot access / manage the Bays of ENCL2 from ENCL1 i.e. I can Access the Bay of ENCL1 through ILO. but i cannot access the Bay of ENCL2 while logged in to ENCL1.

Waseem-HP
Advisor

@Casper42 wrote:

Waseem, where are you located?

If you are in the US I can also find you a PreSales contact who can help get you some basic Knowledge Transfer on the c7000, OA, etc.

I am such a resource in the Los Angeles area.

I am in Saudi Arabia.

Can you tell me what is the Procedure of getting Help From HP?

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

i can see all the bays of the ENCL2 From ENCL1(Master) but i cannot access / manage the Bays of ENCL2 from ENCL1

At the login page you are selecting the check box for both enclosures?  I dont understand what you mean when you say you can see the bays but cannot access them?  Do you see both enclosures in the OA after logging in?  Do you get an error when you try to access the device bays on ENCL2?  

Something to check is the Enclosure Bay IP Addressing configuration on each enclosure.  This is found under the Enclosure Settings menu tree.

-Bob

----------------
Waseem-HP
Advisor

Please Inform me how can i Make Network COnfigurations for HP Blade Servers?

And What is the Procedure to connect two Blade Servers (BAYs) with each other for High avialibilty.

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Network connections are physically connected using interconnect modules located at the rear of the enclosure.  The blade server's onboard LAN ports will route through interconnect bays 1 and 2, so the interconnect modules in these bays must support Ethernet.  There are several models and how the connections are configured greatly depend on the interconnect models you have.

Reference the following page for links to user guides and info.  Scroll down a bit to find the interconnect modules:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class-tech-maintaining.html

As far as setting up high availability between blade servers, you will need to rely on clustering software just as if the two blade servers were standard racked servers.

-Bob

----------------
Waseem-HP
Advisor

@Robert_Jewell wrote:

i can see all the bays of the ENCL2 From ENCL1(Master) but i cannot access / manage the Bays of ENCL2 from ENCL1

At the login page you are selecting the check box for both enclosures?  I dont understand what you mean when you say you can see the bays but cannot access them?  Do you see both enclosures in the OA after logging in?  Do you get an error when you try to access the device bays on ENCL2?  

Something to check is the Enclosure Bay IP Addressing configuration on each enclosure.  This is found under the Enclosure Settings menu tree.

-Bob

Thanks for Reply,

Yes I Check both the Enclousres while Login to OA.

I mean to Say that When I Login to OA, I can see both Enclousres and all the Components Details etc.

For Example: In ENCL1 i Clicked to open the Bay11 and then ILO and Then Remote Control, I can see the Bay11, I can Reboot , Install OS etc.

Same thing is Okay with all the Bays incside ENCL1.

but When I click on any Bay of ENCL2, the Separte Windows Open with Ip address of Bay, its loads for Few Seconds and then Message Appears of Cannot Connect.

Waseem-HP
Advisor

@Robert_Jewell wrote:

Network connections are physically connected using interconnect modules located at the rear of the enclosure.  The blade server's onboard LAN ports will route through interconnect bays 1 and 2, so the interconnect modules in these bays must support Ethernet.  There are several models and how the connections are configured greatly depend on the interconnect models you have.

Reference the following page for links to user guides and info.  Scroll down a bit to find the interconnect modules:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class-tech-maintaining.html

As far as setting up high availability between blade servers, you will need to rely on clustering software just as if the two blade servers were standard racked servers.

-Bob

I understand the First part, For High Availibilty in RACK Servers we Just Connect two NICs with Cross Cable.

But in Blade Server how will we do this?