108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Migrate back to VCM from OneView

SOLVED
Go to solution
TSM1
Occasional Contributor

Migrate back to VCM from OneView

Greetings, Here is a situation I am in, was hoping someone could help. 

Products:
BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure G3
VC FlexFabric-20/40 F8 Module

Recently my company has decided to stop using OneView and we had a single failed blade in a chassis that refused to start without a VC profile. So we have decided to migrate the chassis away from its reliance on OneView which no longer exists in our environment. But I am unable to do so for multiple reasons. 

Firstly, I cleared VC Mode in the OA after all blades powered down.  
I removed the module from the chassis and obtained the default admin password. 

When attempting to visit the Virtual Connect Manager web gui, I can log in with those credentials, and I enter the Virtual Connect Manager Domain Setup Wizard... ok... I enter my OA credentials, then get this message:

The web browser was not able to communicate with Virtual Connect Manager in the allotted time. You will be redirected to the login page.

And then I have re-start the procedure above, clearing VC mode, or power cycling the VC module. 
I should note, I have attempted this in multiple versions of FF and IE.

---- 

I have also logged in to the CLI of the interconnect itself, via the OA CLI, or via SSH, using the credentials.  
Here is an example session(s):

->import enclosure username=Administrator password=XXXXX
Importing enclosure, please wait...
ERROR: Unknown error

->reset vcm
ERROR: Connection lost : Unable to communicate with the management transport

----

Or, an example session with VCSU to do a health check:
vcsu -a healthcheck -i <MY-IP> -u Administrator -p <MYPASS> -vcu Administrator -vcp <MYPASS>

Onboard Administrator Information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version : 4.95
VLAN Tagging : Disabled

Bay 1 : HP VC FlexFabric-20/40 F8 Module
Power : On
Health : Ok
IP Address : 10.193.3.245
IP Connectivity : Passed
Version : 4.62
Mode : Primary

I have also attempted a firmware update with VCSU, which seems fine, but stops with a message:
Virtual Connect package doesn't exist in the given path

...Although the firmware image is g2g. 

Anyone ever experience this level of weirdness leaving OneView?  The only other plausable idea I have, based on what I have read, is swapping the position of the module elsewhere in the chassis which may reset it.

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
TSM1
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: Migrate back to VCM from OneView

As a followup from yesterday, I finally was able to flash the VC module and was eventually able to login to the web gui. Hopefully this will help someone migrating off OneView.

What was required, was an upgrade of my local install of VCSU to version 1.15.0 (Aug 2019) on Linux. I ran the update command, and provided the chassis and OA login credentials, and pointed VCSU to upload the vcfwall480.bin firmware image downloaded from HP.  Success!  Firmware has been flashed from 4.62 to 4.80. This process took about 10 minutes. 

Following that, I went back to OA, clicked the link to Virtual Connect Manager, and I was able to login immediately and complete the setup wizard without issue. 

Hope this helps!