1748109 Members
4440 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mirroring SSD drives in a BL460C

Mark E Walters
Occasional Visitor

Mirroring SSD drives in a BL460C

Is it possible to mirror the SSD drives in a BL460c G6?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Magnus von Rosen
Frequent Advisor

Re: Mirroring SSD drives in a BL460C

This might not help, but I read somewhere that it was not possible. Don't know why, and I can't see why not.

Hopefully someone knows which and why. :)

/Magnus
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

There is no Smart Array controller HW available for SSD. If You want to do a mirror You have to use OS mirroring or something else SW based.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

And as a new user to forum. Start assigning points to answers which people provide to HELP YOU.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Dan Robinson_4
Regular Advisor

Nice Jarkko, you gave him a whole 47 seconds to read your response before slamming him for not giving out points.

PERHAPS HE HASN'T EVEN READ THE RESPONSES YET
CorbettEnders
Advisor

Is there documentation of this somewhere?  I fail to see why the E200i on the BL460c wouldn't do hardware RAID of SSD drives... The controller sees them as SATA drives, so what is the diff?

Cederberg
Honored Contributor

We have mirrored (RAID1+0) HP SSD disks in 35 BL460c G6 blades. So i can confirm that it works. I havn't found anything that says you shouldn't raid the SSD's

K_Chung
Occasional Visitor

I am facing the same issue, trying  to work out how to mirror SSD on HP ProLinant BL460s, I am new to this, please advise if possible

CorbettEnders
Advisor

As of 2014, and whatever firmware release is current we have no problem inserting non HP SSD drives into the tray and into the server and creating a mirror array in hardware. Nothing special, no tricks. Drives are recognized. This is in a BL460c G1 server.