108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Move E200i logical drive to another blade

SOLVED
Go to solution
hybr1d

Move E200i logical drive to another blade

Hello,

I'm trying to clone a blade server by moving one of its RAID1-oned HDDs to another blade, but the new one complains about the invalid logical drive configuration:

"Slot 0 Drive Array Not Configured
Drive positions appear to have been changed.
Run Array Diagnostics Utility (ADU) if previous positions are unknown. Then turn system power OFF and move drives to their original positions."

Do you have an idea how to safely replicate the logical drive configuration or do you have another idea?

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor
Solution

It should work... at least it work with the older controllers.
If you removed the second disk (for example) did you put it into the same slot where it came from? You have to move the disk from slot 0 to 0 or 1 to 1. If you move the 0 disk to slot 1 in the other blade, then you get this "positions changed" error.

If it doesn't work, try this:
Move both disks to the new system and power it up. Then remove one disk, this will be marked as failed (while the sys is running), then replace the disk and let it rebuild the RAID.
Put the removed drive to the old system and start it. It will complain about the missing drive, then give it a new one and let it rebuild.

System cloned....

... I hope it works :-)
"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Don't do it while the system is up and running! If you do it while the system is running there is a good chance you'll end up with corrupted data in the new mirror set

Power off the system, pull one of the drives, power the system back up, when it's booted, plug in a new drive and it will rebuild.

Take the drive you removed and put it in the same slot on the new system and power it up. Once booted plug another drive in the empty slot and it will rebuild the mirror
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
AllenDerusha
Occasional Advisor

As noted above, it's best to power off the source server first. Simply pull one of the drives (as you have done) and place it into the new blade while powered off. Place it in as a single drive (leave its new mirror partner out of the blade for the moment). Open the ACU and it should setup the controller to accept the drive. Once this is done, you can add its mirror partner and configure it to mirror. Worst case situation is that you wipe out the data on this drive, which can simply be reset by dropping it back into the broken mirror set on the source server and allowing it to remirror.
hybr1d

Thank you very much for your answers. As I can't test it right now due to higher priority tasks, I'll test it and let you know what happened.

Thanks again.
hybr1d

Hello, I just wanted to inform you that I successfully did what I wanted.

The only thing I didn't do the first time was putting the old disk to the corresponding slot on the new machine, many thanks to PDP-Fan for pointing that. I didn't notice where I got it from and I thought it won't make difference, but it obviously did.

Hope it will help to another lost soul :)
hybr1d

Closed.