BladeSystem - General
1752565 Members
5464 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Need some help on safely applying latest version of Firmware ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Need some help on safely applying latest version of Firmware ?

Hi Folks,

Can you please share the official steps by steps instruction in how to apply the firmware upgrade for HP Blade enclosure (c7000 G2), Virtual Connect Flex-10 CNA, Blades (490c G7) and the On Board Admin page ?

because I'm not sure how to do that or what is the sequence to perform it safely on the existing production environment ?

Best regards,
11 REPLIES 11
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Best place to start is here:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/en/index.html

HP's Support Pack for ProLiant will provide you with the Smart Update Manager tool.  This runs from a server that has access to the c-Class enclosure and server iLO's.  SUM will perform a discovery of components that need updating and will give you a report allowing you to proceed with the update or defer.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Robert, many thanks for the reply, so in this case which order should I safely apply to make sure that the existing Vm in the production blade enclosure works normally without any issue ?

Assuming I have download the full 2 GB+ bootable DVD HP Service Pack for Proliant 2013.09.0-0_744345-001 (spp_2013.09.0-SPP2013090.2013_0830.30.iso)  can I just perform scan and apply the firmware update safely to my Enclosures, Virtual Connect, BLades, Flex-10 CNA and then the blades individually ?

Best regards,
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor
Solution

These newest versions of SPP/SUM do a good job in updating components in their proper order.  However, from past experience in performing updates manually I would typically update in the order of:

- blade iLO's

- server BIOS

- Network / storage controllers

- OA / VC  

For a time there was a very picky relationship between the Virtual Connect module FW and the OA FW.  If you updated one to high the other might not function.   This is a concern if you have rather old firmware for either of these (v.2.xx and below).  If you are currently running versions 3.xx then you should be OK.

In regards to VC, be sure to backup your configuration prior to updating.  You should be OK in that the config will carry over, but there is always a chance you will need to restore it...sometimes manually.

-Bob

----------------
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks Rob,

So in this case I can do the production server firmware upgrade safely while online and then perform the restart at later time with HP SUM 6 web based interface or with SPP bootable rom my laptop ?

Best regards,
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks Rob,

So in this case I can do the production server firmware upgrade safely while online and then perform the restart at later time with HP SUM 6 web based interface or with SPP bootable rom my laptop ?

Best regards,
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I can do the production server firmware upgrade safely while online and then perform the restart at later time 

Technically yes, but...  You can run the initial discovery report that will tell what needs to be updated while online without concern.  However, I would perform the updates and reset during a scheduled down-time.    It is supposed to be OK to apply the udpates while online, but not everything goes as planned.  Its just a safer way of doing things, in my opinion.

or with SPP bootable rom my laptop ?

The bootable option is for the server that you would be updating.  For example, if you wanted to update firmware on an DL380, you can create a bootable image of HP SUM and boot that server from it to update that server.

While technically you run HP SUM from your laptop, its generally advised to run from a server.  Mainly this would be due to making sure you have a dedicated and reliable network connection.

-Bob

----------------
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks Robert !
Best regards,
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Rob,

Some more clarification, is this sequence correct:

- blade iLO's

- server BIOS

- Network / storage controllers

- OA / VC 

- Blade Enclosure (chassis)

Best regards,
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Blade Enclosure (chassis) = OA/VC

Consider "chassis" as OA and interconnects.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!