New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network connectivity in BL460c with 2 nic card

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mahamudul Hassan
Frequent Advisor

Network connectivity in BL460c with 2 nic card

Hi,
We have a c7000 enclosure with bl460c G6 server with 2 physical nic card install in the server. Oracle RAC will deploy there. As per recommendation of RAC we have to make a dedicated connection between two RAC servers for Heartbeat count. Can any one help how can we do that. we have to get three nic path from each RAC servers. we use two LAN passthrough with 16 Lan port for each server. how can we access the 3 LAN port for each RAC servers.

Thanks,
M.Hassan
8 REPLIES 8
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Hi.

I as i interpret you set up is that you only have the two onboard nics installed in the bl460c g6 and two lan passthroughs in interconnect slot 1 and 2 och the C7000 chassi?

To get more nics you need to buy 2 more lan passthrough interconnects and place them in either IC slot 3 and 4 or slot 5 and six.

Then you need to buy appropriate mezzanine NIC card and put in one of the mezzanine slots in the bl460c g6. I've attacheted a explanation on how the mezzanine slots in the server maps against the Interconnects.

Regards.
//cederberg
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Are you trying to set up you heartbeat so that it stays within the enclosure?? i.e. the two RAC servers communicate directly over the backplane?

You can do this with Virtual Connect modules, but I dont think you can do it with pass-thru modules. (I may be wrong.)

As I understand it, if you are using pass-thru modules, then the heartbeat traffic from RACSrv1 must go out to the external network switch, and then come back into the enclosure to reach RACSrv2.

Dave.
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Not if you use a crossover network cable depending on the distance of course.

regards.
//cederberg
Mahamudul Hassan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for reply. Here we have two 16 port LAN passthrough module in Bay1 and Bay2. In Bay3 and Bay4 we have two 16 port FC passthrough module. we need three nic path for each RAC server. in this two RAC server to LAN meznine card is installed. So according to the docs we need to install another two LAN passthrough module in Bay5 and Bay6. is it? Here all server is bl460c G6 half-height sever. if Bay1 and Bay2 have two Lan passthough module and the sever have 2 Lan meznine card so how many NIC path we will get for this two RAC servers. Please confirm.

Thanks,
M.Hassan
Cederberg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Well. If you get 2 more lan passthrough interconnects in bay 5 and 6 and install a dual port NIC (for exampel nc326m) in mezzanineslot 2 in the server. You will get 4 nic paths from the server one in each interconnect bay 1,2,5 and 6

This is how your config should look like when using Lan Passthrough modules to get 3 (actualy 4) nics from a bl460c g6

C7000

IC Bay1 IC Bay2
Lan Passhtrough Lan Passthrough

IC Bay3 IC Bay4
SAN Passthrough SAN Passthrough

IC Bay5 IC Bay6
LAN Passthrough LAN Passthrough

IC Bay7 IC Bay8
Empty Empty

BL460c g6

Mezzanine slot1
Reserved f├Г┬╢r Mezzanine HBA (SAN)

Mezzanine slot2
Dual port Mezzanine NIC
Mahamudul Hassan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, if we not install any FC Meznine card in the server so is it possible to get any FC path from Bay3 and Bay4 by default?
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Can't say i understand you but there is no FC capabilities built-in in the server if you want FC paths then you need to put a mezzanine card in the server. mezz slot1 for bay 3 and 4
Mahamudul Hassan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks. Actually we want 3 Lan port in Bay1,Bay2 and Bay3 server. so we install dual port Meznine Nic card in the server. We need not any redundancy port. So we install a 8 port Switch in Bay1 and a 16 port passthrough in Bay5. Please confirm is it ok to get 3 Lan path in Bay1,Bay2 and Bay3 server??

Thanks,
M.Hassan