1753599 Members
5910 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OnBoard Administrator upgrade

ROSS HANSON
Regular Advisor

OnBoard Administrator upgrade

My OA is version 2.25. I want to update it. I have looked at many of HP's websites now and all seem to give you several MB of firmware updates regarding all the hardware it seems but I cannot find the site to update only the OA. Am I not understanding something about the OnBoard Administrator?
Ross Hanson
15 REPLIES 15
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

ROSS HANSON
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply. Looking over the documentation does not say anything about "steps" on the update of the OA. I have also looked at the release notes and did not find the requirements there either. Where is this documentation?
Ross Hanson
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

I would like to see it too. Always done it by ILO to latest available first then lates OA. Never seen a problem
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

i don't see why you need to step upgrade the OA firmware.

You also need to upgrade the BIOS to latest to be safe and the Power Management Controller (requires ILO 1.78 or later).

HP's recomendation BIOS-> ILO -> PMC -> OA

here is a good site for checking which levels you need to be on.. the tab "Compabillity"
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class.html#tab3_content
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

and the problem with this is that you need to upgrade all servers in a chassi with bios and ILO and so on before you upgrade your OA.

Bacause of the Powercapping feature introduced in ILO ~1.70. there is a ASR bug aswell. If you update to a later bios or a later ilo or both without upgrading the OA there is a possibility that the ASR well reboot the servers at random..
Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

I know we went from 2.31 to 2.52 without stopping at 2.41. But you do want to get the ILO's upgraded first - and I'm hearing that you want to go to v1.79.
ROSS HANSON
Regular Advisor

Hello everyone and thanks for the replies,

After looking at length, documentation and websites I did upgrade the OA from 2.25 to 2.60. The procedure itself was not a problem however afterwards I am receiving "X"es on my power supplies. I, once again, tried looking for documentation from HP about "step" upgrades but could not find anything regarding this. Also, if it is important to upgrade from 2.25 to 2.31 first, I was unable to find any OA firmware that was before 2.52. I am now calling HP to find out how to get rid of these "X"es on my power supplies.
Ross Hanson
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

ROSS HANSON
Regular Advisor

I have looked at the advisory and I have been sent 4 more power supplies which when inserted the issue with the "X"es are all gone. We purchase our c7000 in Sept. of 2007 and the advisory tells if you purchased the batteries before March of 2008 the problem with the "X"es may happen. I thank you all for the suggestion and help
Ross Hanson