Re: OnBoard Administrator upgrade

Hi Ross,

The correct order of updates was posted above:

BIOS (ROM)
iLO
PMC
OA
Virtual Connect

We were able to acquire the preview of a document that details fw upgrade procedures for blade components, but unfortunately it is under an NDA. I understand it will be posted online soon.
Check the release notes for the version of OA fw you plan to use and it should detail what version you can upgrade from.
Good luck!
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

You can now access the Bladesystem firmware best practices guide here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01857420/c01857420.pdf

Bob Firek
Regular Advisor

WFH-WI
I was wondering since you had previewed athe document that details firmware upgrade procedures but is under an NDA if you can tell me if the caveat on page 9 still applies:

"If updating from VC firmware versions before 1.34, the VC firmware must be updated before the OA firmware.
For VC firmware versions 1.34 and later, the update order between the OA and VC is not important."

I would guess that if Ross has OA 2.25 then his VC firmware is below 1.34.

I am kinda in the same spot. I'm looking to upgrade my c7000 and my OA is at 2.25 but VC is at 1.32. I'm debating wether to take the advice of the majority of the tech on this forum and follow your proeduce above:
BIOS (ROM)
iLO
PMC
OA
Virtual Connect

Or upgrade my VC first from 1.32 to the latest 2.30 or one rev below 2.10 and then upgrade iLO and OA.

Any advice will be appreciated.

ROSS HANSON
Regular Advisor

Hello once again

I have updated the OA first because I can reboot this windows box without affecting anything else as far as the blades

I then updated all the ILOs (remember I have 5 blades) because you can reboot the ILOs without affecting the ESX.

When I evacuated all VMs from a blade, I started upgrading the BIOS. From there, it was onto the firmware. Here I downloaded the Windows 2003 Rompaq, expanded, and located the .iso file on my windows PC in order to boot the server, which is in another part of the building.

This all went pretty well, for the most part.
But after updating the firmware (rompaq 8.60)
I received "X"es on my c7000 power supplies.

For whatever reason the firmware did not detect the Power Controller Modules. These were at version .5 and now are at 3.4
I did have to update the PS manually.

I also noticed that the product numbers of all the blades are not the same. We purchased two more blades about 6 months after the first three.

Just giving an update. Still not done with it
Ross Hanson
Bob Firek
Regular Advisor

Ross,

Did you upgrade your Virtual Connect yet? If you have upgraded it can you tell me what version you were at and what version you upgrade to, please.

Thanks
ROSS HANSON
Regular Advisor

The Virtual connect, NO, I have not yet updated that. I was told by HP that the firmware on the blades must be done before I update the VC and I have not completed that task. As far as the version I am currently running, it is firmware version 1.31
Ross Hanson