1753518 Members
5318 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

P-class blade and a UPS

Darren Partridge
Occasional Contributor

P-class blade and a UPS

I have a customer with a P-class blade and an R3000 UPS. He is not 100% sure how to set up a power management server and I can't find any information re blades and UPSs anywhere.

On the back of the p-class there is a port marked power management module service port, but there is no information as to what this port is for. Is it just a case of connecting the UPS serial cable to this port or is it more complicated than that?
1 REPLY 1
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: P-class blade and a UPS

Howdy,
As far as I can remember the only way you are going to get a UPS to work with the blades is if you have purchased the optional SNMP card with the UPS.

The blades, in general, don't have a serial port (the exeption is the bl60p but it's serial port is actually a console). The power management port is a serial port but it is used to configure and display status of the power grid in the blade chassis.

Short answer - buy the SNMP card, put an IP address on the network port using it's serial port and supplied cable, install Power Manager 4.0 (Manager) on a nominated blade and install the agents on the rest of the blades in the rack.

Power Manager should be on the CD's that came with the UPS.

HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me