BladeSystem - General
1752282 Members
4432 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power down blades during power failure.

neilbo
Occasional Advisor

Power down blades during power failure.

What is everyone doing to power down your blades if there is a power failure?

Currently we have a C7000 with 8 blades connected to two HP R5000 UPS's. If the power goes out and the batteries run out off power, my servers will hard shut down. Is there a solution to tell the servers to gracefully shut down?
5 REPLIES 5
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

Without checking the specs on your UPS there are a few ways to do it..

Usualy there are a few ways to do it. USB cabel is gone because you don't want to use the dongel to get a usb port. The other is by network and a applikation that monitors the UPS and can then tell the other servers to shutdown gracefully before the power runs out.

This is the way with some APC UPS's. Read the manual and you will surely find a way to do this.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

You need a UPS Management card which plugs into the UPS.. this connects via IP communication to an agent on all your servers or via serial port to one which then talks to the rest.
Loss of power should then send an alert to the agent to shut the servers down.
neilbo
Occasional Advisor

How about getting them to pwer backup with out user intervention? Is this possible?
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Can't rememeber exactly but I think you can set this in the OA - set them to power on in sequence just so they dont trip any breakers.

Or as long as another windows machine on the network has power you could use the iLO scripting tool to send a power on script to the iLOs of the servers.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1135772&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1146658&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005
Carl Bennett
Advisor

I'm looking at setting up the same thing.

I wanted to use HP's power monitor for the shutdown, but if you have 2 UPS each on a different circuit, how do you keep the failure of one UPS from shutting everything down?