108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Powering up BladeSystem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Powering up BladeSystem

What are the prerequisites before powering up a blade system ( enclosure + the contents ) for the first time ?

What are the steps involved in powering up a c7000 blade enclosure for the first time ?

Regards,
7 REPLIES 7
Magnus von Rosen
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: Powering up BladeSystem

Install all options, connect cables to power up...
Set IP via the front display, access the onboard administrator, set all the settings, upgrade OA firmware and Switch firmware...install servers.

I don't know that there is anything more to it, have done this 5-6 times, nothing has started burning yet. :)
Starting the enclosure will all the servers in it should also be OK unless you have a power problem in the building.

We do change the Power redundancy setting to "Power supply redundant", otherwise half the enclosure switches and servers will go out if you lose power on one of the two powercords. I'm wondering why that is not the default setting...

/Magnus
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

just put all power supplies that you have in to the enclosure, with or without the blade servers, connect it to the PDU. and start the enclosure, setup the ILO central IP amd connect remotelly.

mikap
Yaboto
Super Advisor

For initial setup:
After powering up the enclosure, setting up the central ip address in the Insight display, connecting to the onboard administrator, what is the next thing to do ?

I have fixed 1 Virtual Connect FC 4GB and 1 Virtual Connect enet 10GB at the rear of the enclosure that is previously empty. What is now the next thing to do ?

I have two redundant standard SAN switches installed in the rack (note a blade san switch). Would I uplink the Virtual connect FC 4GB to the standard SAN switch ?

The EVA, the SAN management Server and the Tape Library: where would they connect ? to the standard san switch or to the blade switch ?

Regards,
Magnus von Rosen
Frequent Advisor

- I have fixed 1 Virtual Connect FC 4GB and 1 Virtual Connect enet 10GB at the rear of the enclosure that is previously empty. What is now the next thing to do ?
Reply: Put the enet switch to the top left.
Put the SAN switches in the row below, with the san-switches next to each other. I assume you are talking about blade-SAN-switches.

- Would I uplink the Virtual connect FC 4GB to the standard SAN switch ?
Reply: Yes, you should put a fibre uplink to you SAN or to a trunk port on your master SAN Switch.

- The EVA, the SAN management Server and the Tape Library: where would they connect ? to the standard san switch or to the blade switch ?
Reply: I assume that the EVA is FC-connected, so that goes over the Fibre Channel/SAN network, either straigt to the FC-bladeswitch uplink, or via a master FC-switch.
The Tape Library would ofcourse depend it it's FC or Ethernet connected. Ours is FC and goes to the master FC switch.

Hope this helps, sounds like you have some figuring out to do. :)

/Magnus
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Thanks !
Yaboto
Super Advisor

I went into the onboard administrator ILO.
Can somebody help me with an easy way or guide to understand The MAPPING between blade server NIC (network interface card) and blade Ethernet (switch) Interconnect modules ?

Regards,
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

See the pretty pdf enclosed