BladeSystem - General
1748282 Members
4048 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

PXE timeout on hyper-v machines BL 460c G7

Andy Vanderbeken

PXE timeout on hyper-v machines BL 460c G7

we just had a new BL 460c G7 with flex 10GBe converged network cards in. We fired it up into our C7000 enclosure, put latest firmwares on it, hyper-v core 2008R2 (and later sp1) with PSP 860 but we keep getting pxe timeout (errors 35 and 39) on this NIC. When we put in a 1GB mezzanine and start up our vm machines over the same vlan but over that netword card we dont' have any trouble at all so the card (even with latest firmware) seems the culprit. Would love it if anyone knew a fex to this !
19 REPLIES 19
AG Insurance
Visitor

Re: PXE timeout on hyper-v machines BL 460c G7

Same problem here
Andy Vanderbeken

HP is troubleshooting this at lvl 2-3 support currently for me. During my own troubleshooting I found out that even at the bios lvl of the hp server you can enter the vlan, thus eliminating the OS (hyper-v 2008 R2) and therefore microsoft completely out of the picture. Even there the pxe boot hangs when doing it over that adapter, even with the 23february firmware relase for the 10GB emulex adapters (firmware 703) This confirms it totally being an issue with the adapters or at least it's firmware. In the meanwhile I'm using the other adapters until these are fixed
AG Insurance
Visitor

Ja dan maar wachten op een nieuwe driver of firmware.

Roland Wengert
Advisor

Hi all,
I've exactly the same problem.
Andy could you please tell me the HP case ID you've opened (just for reference).
Thank's a lot
Andy Vanderbeken

RE: case number: 4626212668 --> NC553i PXE issue

Thanks Andy for your time on the VR session and demonstrated us the issue more in-depth

Based on VR analysis, what we understand is,

- The NC553i NIC is in question not able to PXE boot the Citrix provisioning bootstrap image from the Citrix Provisioning server
- Checked the issue at the NIC BIOS level, assigned the VLAN but no luck
- The NIC gets an IP successfully from DHCP at BIOS as well as at Hyper-V guest OS during the PXE boot
- checked with the latest NIC firmware and the server BIOS, didn├в t help
- Disabled the VLAN support from NIC BIOS level, but no luck

Not sure if you have gone through the Citrix Best Practices for Configuring Provisioning Server on a Network - http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX117374, if not, I would suggest to go through it to see if any difference here.

Meanwhile, I am arranging the hardware (identical to your setup) in our one of global HP labs to see if I can duplicate the issue here and then take it further.

I will keep you updated about the further lab test progress.

Thanks
Patel, Hitendra (GCC ISS Engineer)

update: he's been busy in his lab for about a week now. I'm expecting news but by now we can't troubleshoot anymore. I had to take this server into production and put in an NC362 mezzanine since these 1GB broadcom interfaces don't have any problem.
Andy Vanderbeken

mail from the engineer just got in:

With regards to the PVS installation issue on BL460c G7 ServerEngine NICs, the issue is currently being investigated at HP Engineering jointly with Emulex.

Here is the latest update I have from HP Engineering:

Issue: Citrix PVS install issues on Server Engines NICs on BL460G7

Engineering Update:

├в ┬в HP is expecting the SplitROM image update from Emulex at the end of the MAY time frame. However, HP to check with OEM until an image is provided.

├в ┬в HP is now waiting for an update from the OEM to further move on this.

Will keep you posted about the further case progress on the case as and when I have any more news available from them.

Hitendra
HP ISS GCC
Simran Hansrai

Has there been any update on this? I am running into a similar problem with my new BL460c G7 blades that are able to get a DHCP address but fail with a "PXE-E74: Bad or missing PXE menu and/or prompt information" error message. This is only happening on my G7 blades and the G6 blades are just fine.

Any update would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Simran
Roland Wengert
Advisor

Hello all,

we are working hard together with HP. And it semms to go forward now. I hope next week I can say more about that issue.
Andy Vanderbeken

at your request I post here the latest reply from the assigned HP engineer received on 26-04-11:

"We are expecting an ALPHA code on 29th April form engineering to be checked in your test environment setup to confirm it works and share the result to our next level

Would it be possible to test the code in your test environment?"

Unfortunately by that time our 2 testservers had to be sent back so we could never test this firmware and we never will. This possible solution came too late for us and is of no use therefore. I hope however you can refer in your case to this and get a hold of the alpha firmware to test it. Maybe my invain patience and work on this may server someone else like yourself in the end. I myself however am through with this case and therefore will no longer be posting updates here. Cheers