1748180 Members
4212 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setting IP Addresses on a Blade Chassis

Cathy McFarland
Occasional Contributor

Setting IP Addresses on a Blade Chassis

Hi. I have been tasked with changing the IP addresses for the active and passive onboard administrators to a new IP range (and VLAN) on our BladeSystem C700.

Do I need to change the EBIPA addresses to be on the same VLAN too or can they stay on a different VLAN/IP range with a different gateway?

The purpose of the change is so we can monitor the hardware through SCOM. Is it ok to use the existing Administrator account for this or would it be better to create a new account specifically for monitoring?

Thanks very much.
4 REPLIES 4
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Re: Setting IP Addresses on a Blade Chassis

As far as I am aware its effectively a hub behind the OA RJ45 port. So you have have different IP and VLANs. There are issues with VLAN tagging if you have it, and routing when trying to get from clicking on links in the OA when trying to get to the ILO IP.

I would create another account as you may want this account to have read access only to the chassis.
Cathy McFarland
Occasional Contributor

So we should keep the ILOs on the same IP range to save connection issues?
Cathy McFarland
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know if the ILOs should be on the same IP range? Need to get this work done.

Thanks.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Cathy,

Adrian has the right idea, you should set up a separate account, perhaps with Operator rights instead of Administrator.

As for the IP change, the EBIPA addresses travel through the same cable as the OA connection. You will need to change all of your iLO/VCM/EBIPA addresses if you change the VLAN that your OAs are on.

In our case we:
>Changed IP on OA1
>Changed VLAN on port connected to OA1
>Connected to OA1 via new IP
>Changed all EBIPA addresses/settings
>Changed OA2
>Changed VLAN on port connected to OA2
>Changed DNS entries for OA1/OA2/VCM

This solution worked for us. Good luck!