1747972 Members
3301 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smartstart 8.60 fails w/ screen going blank and Shiretoko banner seen

stkey
Occasional Contributor

Smartstart 8.60 fails w/ screen going blank and Shiretoko banner seen

I'm having a problem running smartstart on BL460 G7 blades. The dialog starts but then the screen turns blue and the word "Shiretoko" is seen in the banner at the top. Which I think is some sort of Firefox app. I don't not have any problem with running the firmware update 9 utility or any other software install. Just running smartstart.
6 REPLIES 6
Joatmon76
Occasional Visitor

I am having the same issue on a bl620 g7. I have a support request open with HP. So far they cant reproduce it but there hardware isn't identicle. They are working on getting the identicle procs to install. I tried every version of smartstart (x86, x64, 8.5, 8.6) and all with the same results. I mounted the iso via ilo and used them as the bootable usb connectd to the blade kvm dongle. Ill let you know what we find.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

How much RAM do you have installed?
Try to use less than 64GB (like 32GB) when installing and add them later.
Joatmon76
Occasional Visitor

Forgot to mention that; 128GB ram. I tried the sos maxmem=largemen boot switch and that didnt work either. I then removed half the memory to make it 64GB and still no luck. I then installed the original memory that came with the server (plus a more from new g7's) to give it 32GB and still same issue. Any other thoughts?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Nothing that makes much sense...

maybe for you it works with an older smartstart?
or maybe downgrade firmware?

do you have this problem on all blades?
is your OA, ilo, BIOS etc updated / in a release set?
Joatmon76
Occasional Visitor

I have used ss to boot bl680 g5 in this chassis and it worked like a charm. I have several bl620 g7 and none of them boot to ss (8.5 or 8.6). I dont believe its a firmware issue on the chassis as i have used the usb key utility with the blade kvm dongle with the same results. The blade is on the one and only bios version available. When i watch the ss try to load; its real fast but it looks like the ss screen appears and then a dialog box pops up in the middle of the screen and them the screen goes solid blue. It happens so fast i cant read anything on it.
Joatmon76
Occasional Visitor

Official outcome for anyone with this issue. The root cause was the mezzanine nic card (P/N 416583-001). Remove the card and SS boots normally. HP verified in there labs as well and should be fixed in SS 8.7.