1752603 Members
4884 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Solaris install on BL460 G6 can't find disk

BryanBlackwell
Occasional Advisor

Solaris install on BL460 G6 can't find disk

I'm setting up some new G6 blades with the latest Solaris 5/09 iso. The installer comes up, I get through the questions, but then the installer throws a "no disks found" error and quits. It seems it should at least find the internal drives and then I could add the array driver after installation.

Thanks for any hints.
17 REPLIES 17
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

check this link if your Server is supported.

http://h20338.www2.hp.com/enterprise/cache/492635-0-0-0-121.html

mikap

BryanBlackwell
Occasional Advisor

Yes, it's on the supported list. The only notes say that 10GbE is supported now, Flex-10 by July. But I'm installing from an iso, not over a network, so that shouldn't be any problem.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi,
did you try o install a OpenSolaris instead of Solaris ?

mikap
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

which version of solaris did you installed ?

mikap
BryanBlackwell
Occasional Advisor

OpenSolaris is not an option. I'm using Solaris 10 x86 5/09 - in other words the absolute latest.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

BryanBlackwell
Occasional Advisor

Thaks, I have extensively reviewed what's out there. I'm a little stuck on creating a Solaris 10 bootable iso and installing. If anyone's done this and can give me a quick set of steps I'd appreciate it.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

use ILO to mount the image on your computer.

mikap

PS : ilo on blade are free of charge.
BryanBlackwell
Occasional Advisor

Ok, I figured it out, so I'm posting some hints in case someone else is doing this. Generally, the HP Deployment Guide is very accurate, and should be thoroughly reviewed. I did successfully build a blade from scratch and use it as a JumpStart server to install the other blades.

1 - The Solaris Miniroot has a small problem that will keep the disk driver from loading. You must remove the stale lock file /tmp/AdDrEm.lck before installing the additional drivers.

2 - This wasn't in the original question, but there's a newer NIC in the G6 blades we are using that has an updated driver (BRCMbnxe-4.8.11) that you need with the 10GbE NICs.

3 - Those 10Gb NICs, BTW, wouldn't connect to our old 1Gb Cisco enclosure switches. I was trying one in an old enclosure until the new one was installed.

4 - You need to configure only one connection for each physical NIC in the Virtual Connect Manager. Solaris doesn't appear to recognize the virtual interfaces.

Hope that helps someone else.