108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

update Virtual connect

SOLVED
Go to solution
daedro
Frequent Advisor

update Virtual connect

Hi, Im going to update a VC enet, from 2.41 to 3.15 and I have two doubts, when update de firmware you lose the configuration or not.
And the other doubt is, I have now two VC enet in the bays 1 and 2 and I want to put two more in the bays 5 and 6.
Can I put them without impact the network?
Can I update them whithout impact the network?

theres is some document where explain this. thank you
7 REPLIES 7
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Re: update Virtual connect

Your config will be safe. You can add the modules (stacking links are needed between bay1/2 modules).
Firmware update will reset the module and all connections from that must failover to another. So there is network impact.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
ARETESOP
Occasional Advisor

thanks, but somebody can say me if when i put de VC enet in the bays 4 and 5, Im gonna see in the virtual connect manager with the others VC on bays 1 and 2.
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Yes you can put the 2 new modules in bay 5 and 6 without interupting the other modules or network traffic...

And yes you can update them also.

If you have NIC teaming well configured in your servers, normally you wont have downtime...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
The Brit
Honored Contributor

You will also need to add Stacking Links between Bay 1 - Bay 5, and Bay 2 - Bay 6.

This will include the Bay 5 & Bay 6 modules in the VC domain.

Note::: VCM can only run on Bays 1 & 2, so without stacking links, you will not be able to configure Bays 5 or 6.

Dave.
ARETESOP
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Dave, are you sure of this? One question can I do stacking link with RJ45 isnt? what port can I use to do this?
when Im going to update de bay 1 and 2, if there is no stacking link the VCSU will updating the bays 5 and 6. thank you

there is some document where explain this.

You will also need to add Stacking Links between Bay 1 - Bay 5, and Bay 2 - Bay 6.

This will include the Bay 5 & Bay 6 modules in the VC domain.

Note::: VCM can only run on Bays 1 & 2, so without stacking links, you will not be able to configure Bays 5 or 6.

Dave.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Normally the stacking links would be 10Gb CX4 cables. (0.5m cables are available and are ideal for this). Check the VC User Guide,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00865618/c00865618.pdf

(look under installation)

As for updating VC firmware, I believe that the VCSU product will update all VC modules in the the enclosure, (I dont think it cares about stacking links, but I maybe wrong).

Stacking links can be added without any impact to your running systems.

Dave.
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

And You can use any port to stack. No need for CX-4.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi