5309 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updating Flex-10 modules to 3.15

JorisK
Regular Advisor

Updating Flex-10 modules to 3.15

Hi,

We use several flex-10 modules at firmware 2.32 and i need to update to 3.15 because we have new servers with new Flex-10 mezz adapters in it.

What's the best practise to update them? Can i update them all at the same time? What will happen with the network / bay configurations?
8 REPLIES 8

single enclosure or multiple enclosure setup?
enet module can be updated without issues. VC FC can give some problems due to firewall restrictions
Magnus von Rosen
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I would also love to know. We have two Enet only flex 10's that I have tried updating but the upload just freezes.
Exactly which file should I use from the HP site?

Thanks,
Magnus
Andrew Hall_4
Occasional Advisor

I had the same problem when using the web admin pages.

For the firmware upgrade, are you using the Virtual Connect Support Utility (vcsu.exe)? It's a console app that you can download from the same place you download the firmware. The current version is 1.5.1. If not, I recommend using it instead of the web-based admin. It's actually pretty easy. First run the "Report" command to see if your firmware file (ex. vcfwall315.bin) is compatible. Then, when you're ready, run vcsu.exe and do the "Update" command.

When I run it, I specify the IP's of the OA and VC modules (not network names), specify local user accounts (not domain accounts), and put the firmware file in a folder where there are no spaces in the file path (ex. on the root of C:\).

FYI - my first update took 44 minutes to do two Flex-10's and two FC module's.
Andrew Hall_4
Occasional Advisor

Also...

When the update runs, it does each module one at a time. If your multi-pathing and teaming are configured right, you "shouldn't" have a server outage, just lose redundancy. But plan for an outage if you can.

When you run the "Update" command, it asks questions about which modules to do first or how long to wait between modules... I just took the defaults and didn't have any problems.
Magnus von Rosen
Frequent Advisor

JorisK: Sorry for hijacking your thread. Hopefully this will help you as well.

I downloaded the top firmware file from Hp's website.
Ran the report command on the OA, there were no warnings or complaints.
I am updating it now, everybody please keep your fingers crossed.
Luckily there are no blades in production in this enclosure yet.
It asked me a lot of questions, then finally "would you like to update: YES", it's now at step 2 of 3 and 0% complete after 5 minutes. I can see that my windows machine has had some network action, so hopefully it has uploaded the .bin.
Oh, just went to 12% in one jump.

KR
Magnus
Magnus von Rosen
Frequent Advisor

Oh, and JorisK: It actually asks so if you want to specify delays for the different switches and so on, so like Andrew said, it should work fine in production. "Should..." :)

KR
Magnus
JorisK
Regular Advisor

Hmmm... Sounds allright with me, everything is redundant here, but just to make sure:

I don't see any firmware options (like timedelay between updates) in the VC Manager, the only thing i see is a 'upload from local machine' option and that's it. Is this the right way to update it or should i use ssh?

Magnus von Rosen
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

my upgrade worked well.

It did not work via the GUI/webpage, only via the config util that was described above. Only there will it give you those options mentioned.

KR
Magnus