1753840 Members
9457 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Updating OS c7000 Chasis

Walsh88
Occasional Contributor

Updating OS c7000 Chasis

I've just come into posession of an HPE blade system with a c7000 enclosure. System currently working with vmWare vSphere 5.0 on an old license. I've got a trial licence for 6.0 (max version of vSphere that will run on my individual blade). I'm trying to overwrite the OS with this new ISO image I have on CD, but can't seem to get my iLo environment to recognize the external DVD player I am using. 

Cuveballs which make this not a straight forward process:

- Running iLo 3, not the most recent 4

- am required to keep a full airgap with this device. No internet connection, and zero usb's to be used. I have this device networked to an isolated desktop that I am accessing the server through via iLo, however even the remote management console will not launch. 

I am suspecting this is likely firmware versions, and am working to establish a plan on updating this but wondered if anyone else has any hints to point me in the right direction and save me countless troubleshooting hours when I have such constraints. 

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
DANDKS
HPE Pro

iLO 3 requires Advance license to access the servers through a Remote Console. Once the iLO Advance license is installed, OS installation can be completed through iLO using the Virtual Media option.

Update iLO3 with Advance license. Once the Advanced License is applied to iLO, the OS image can be mounted on the iLO virtual media & complete the OS installation.

We strongly recommend using the HPE version of ESXi image to avoid driver mismatch. Download link: https://www.hpe.com/in/en/servers/hpe-esxi.html

Update all the servers with respective Service Pack for ProLiant to update all the firmware versions. Search the following link https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home using the server model name (for eg: BL460c G7) for downloading the Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) image for the specific server model & supported version of SPP.

Please Note: iLO3 Advanced License is required to access the remote console & virtual media.

The SPP update is also done through iLO virtual media.

Steps:

1. Update iLO3 Advanced License

2. Update the firmware of all the servers, Onboard Administrators & Interconnect Modules with supported version of SPP

(Remotely access the C7000 Enclosure from the Desktop using the IP of the Onboard Administrator, this will detect all the devices in the Enclosure. When the SPP is initiated, it will update all the firmware versions of the devices in the Enclosure)

3. Mount the HPE ESXi OS image from the iLO virtual media & complete the OS installation

Write back for any further clarifications

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
DANDKS
HPE Pro

I hope the provided solution has helped you resolve the issue.
Kindly let me know if you have further queries or the status.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Walsh88
Occasional Contributor

With the age or this chasis and the unfortunate fact any original users are no longer with the organization, would you be able to clarify how I might be able to check current licensing on the machine? 

I'm also wondering if a remote console connection requires any form of internet connection as an authentication check for the above-mentioned licenses. This isn't possible as the server is used in a lab environment with a complete air gap from any outside connection. it seems when trying a .NET connection, the primary error is in trying to download IRC.exe.manifest.