1752664 Members
5395 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VC-Enet Module

JTR

VC-Enet Module

Hi,

Can anyone please confirm whether the VC Enet Modules have the ability to accept traffic from a "SPAN" port from an external switch?

If so, how does this need to be configured?

I've configured a network analyser port on the offending uplink but no traffic is received at the monitored port level...IflnDiscards = IfInUcastPkts and no traffic is passed....Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

Re: VC-Enet Module

Virtual Connect has the ability to mirror a downlink port to an uplink port so you can hook up a protocol analyzer to the uplink port and see the traffic sent/received on that Blade server's port.

If you are instead trying to create a span port on an external switch, hook a VC uplink to it and create a VC network with that uplink that a server can join to see packet capture info, I'm not sure that can be done. I have heard of varying results with trying to get that to work... never tried it myself.
JTR

Hi HEM,

"If you are instead trying to create a span port on an external switch, hook a VC uplink to it and create a VC network with that uplink that a server can join to see packet capture info"

You are correct, this is what I am trying to achieve. As there isn't a great to configure on the VC side I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that this is not possible with the current firmware 2.10...I'll log a call and see what comes back.

Cheers
JTR

FYI "Span" port traffic can only be processed using a 1GB pass-through Module. All other C-class interconnect options like Cisco 3020/3120, GBE2c, HP 10GB switch, Flex-10 do not support "Spanned port".