1753449 Members
6468 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VC-FC mapping

Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

VC-FC mapping

Hi guys I am confused with uplinks-downlinks mapping in a VC-FC 4GB module.
It may be dynamic or static. Dynamic allows automatic failover. But how can i know what uplinks ports serve to what blade server.
There is two contradictory documents, the first one is available at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01096654/c01096654.pd in page 11 says:
Table 3. External FC port mapping (default) for the HP 4Gb VC-FC Module
Server blades
External Uplink Port
1 тАУ 4 1
5 тАУ 8 2
9 тАУ 12 3
13 тАУ 16 4

but the second one available at:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00865618/c00865618.pdf
in page 129 it says:
"When static mapping of a server HBA to a Virtual Connect fabric is preferred, users can select which
specific uplink ports shall be members of the Virtual Connect fabric.
4 uplinks
(All uplinks 1, 2, 3 and 4)
Uplink #1 - 1, 5, 11, 15
Uplink #2 - 2, 6, 12, 16
Uplink #3 - 3, 7, 9, 13
Uplink #4 - 4, 8, 10, 14"

Any help?

4 REPLIES 4
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

This looks like a reasonable overview -

http://vinf.net/2008/04/09/how-does-an-hp-fibre-channel-virtual-connect-module-work/

I agree with the authors commet that the VC FC Cookbook is worth having a copy of. Contact your friendly HP rep or reseller for a copy.

Cheers
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

Thanks Ian:
that mapping is in the case of STATIC LOGIN DISTRIBUTION, but if I choose DYNAMIC how can i know the distribution?
Greetings
Oscar
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Hola Oscar

I think you may be misunderstanding the dynamic/static configuration information from HP. What you have above is two different examples of how the static mapping will map 16 blades to 4 uplinks. I agree that HP documentation is inconsistant and I think there seems to be a disagreement in different documents. What you call the 2nd one is what I believe the default static mapping is if you connect up all 4 uplinks on current firmware.
It is also I believe what the dynamic mapping will be if you have 4 uplinks connected and logged in.
With dynamic - if one port disconnects then then VC will dynamically reallocate the blades on the disconnected port to the ports still connected.....so why do you need to know? ..As you should be zoning all ports to accept all blade WWPNs and should not care.

Otherwise you want to be using static mapping then you will know which uplink you map to...but if the uplink dies so do the downlinks.

The SAN cookbook does not mention Dynamic SAN allocation as it was written before the firmware release for Dynamic.

Email me if you want a copy. Address in my profile.

Oscar_Maim├│
Regular Advisor

Thanks for response:
My question is: load balancing according traffic patterns is done by Dynamic mapping.
Greetings
Oscar