BladeSystem - General
1748275 Members
3755 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual Connect network and SAN I/O stats?

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Virtual Connect network and SAN I/O stats?

Is there a way to get SAN and network statistics from the virtual connect system?

We have a C7000 chassis with several B465C blades, and four Ethernet and two SAN Virtual Connect modules. We're running VMWare 4 on the blades, and lately we've been running into some performance issues. I'm looking into the various pieces (VMWare ,the SAN switch, etc.), and I was wanting to see if there was anything on the chassis end that will show me any I/O statistics or if the Virtual Connect modules are having any connection issues. The virtual connect system log doesn't show any problems.
9 REPLIES 9
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmmm mike ..

* For Virtual connects, to obtain the logs:
Collect the following files from the VC Manager tools menu:
Backup Domain Configuration-Used when restoring the configuration in a test lab.
System Log ├в Gives a quick impression what is going on the VC
Export System Information ├в This is the VC Dump file required for analysis if something goes wrong. This file can be decrypted with a special tool and shows all the log files from the VC modules.

3) For C-class enclosure Switches, Extract the Showall report:%%%
Go to the OA GUI>Enclosure settings > Configuration Scripts > fill the URL of the file in the URL box:ftp://iss:tools@hprc.external.hp.com/showall.txt
and the hit APPLY button. The commands in the file showall.txt will be downloaded and executed in the GUI and the result will be visible in a new pop up window. You can easily copy this into a notepad text editor.

post here ::::

also is every thing updated firmware wise according according to blades matrix

hint ..click on the compatibility tab
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class.html#tab3_content

ebsure all firmmwares in place and OA and interconnect modules reboteed not just reset especially oA,

and post setup here re virtual connects etc for a basic view...

signature===================

This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the info. All the firmware is updated as of a few months ago (August). I've pulled copied out the chassis OA info, but nothing in that is showing any problems.

The virtual connect system log mainly shows a whole bunch of warnings
"VCM Remote session is invalid or has expired hpvcd:showManagedObjects ([UNKNOWN]@[LOCAL])"
followed by
VCM remote request has no security header : hpvcm:retrieveStateChangeCounters ([UNKNOWN]@[LOCAL])

I'm not sure exactly what those mean.

I did the "export support information", but it hasn't come back yet. You said it needs a special tool, is that tool something I can download, or do I need to open a ticket with HP?
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

mike the tool is for hp , but a few monthsa go is along time ago re firmwares and issues sorted, I doubt hP will take the issue as is without firmwares brought up to the matrix level, as many issues and glitches have been sorted , i would not look at enclosure logs a few months old ,because many issues have been resolved network wise etc..

enjoy :)
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

mike o i think this should be resolved as it is a way of saying thank you to the members here not just me, thanks

other wise assistance may be limited..
mike o stats>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have assigned points to 1 of 24 responses....

Mike O.
Regular Advisor

I will need to see about updating the firmware then probably open a ticket with HP.
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Mike to check firmware
goto here
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/blades/components/c-class.html#tab3_content
click on Compatability.

And the way to thank people and close a forum question down is to ASSIGN POINTS and then close the thread.
Mike O.
Regular Advisor

Actually our firmware is pretty much up to date. It looks like the only think we're off on is that our virtual connect modules are at 2.30, and the current is 2.31, and from the "fixes" notes, it doesn't look like it's too much of an issue for our environment.

So at this point, is the only way to see the virtual connect port statistics to have HP analyze the "export service information" files?

As for our original issue, the VMWare conversions going slow, it looks like it was just a transitory issue with the various jobs that the servers were running. The stats from the SAN switch and storage array weren't showing any problems, and we did some testing yesterday, and some conversions last night, and everythign is working OK.

Jon Berry

Hi,

if you are having a problem with the "export support information" it could be that you have an issue with one of the virtual connects.. maybe the IP address is incorrectly configured?

Are you running a single enclosure or have multiple enclosures stacked?

Best thing to do is download the virtual connect support utility, and run:

vcutil -a healthcheck -i "ip of active VC" -u "username" -p "password".. that will run a check on your enclosure..

See if you get any failures?

And YES... it seems that only HP can diagnose our issues as ALL important info is within that support export... and its unreadable!!
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

For network traffic you can always enable port monitoring and use software on the monitoring device to study the traffic.

hope that helps, to echo other posters be sure to assign points to the responses when returning to view your post! Even if you feel the post was worthless, I think "0 points" is still an option ;)