4548 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VMWare VMotion across two c7000 enclosures using Virtual Connect Flex 10

Brazil_1
Advisor

VMWare VMotion across two c7000 enclosures using Virtual Connect Flex 10

Hi All,

I have two c7000 G2 enclosures, each with Virtual Connect Flex 10 modules.

I am looking at the best way to configure VMWare VMotion across blades from one enclosure to another. Would creating a standard VLAN on each of the Virtual Connects be the best thing to do, or is there a better approach. I have read a post which mentioned Stacking Links. How would this work?

Any advice and real world suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben.

1 REPLY 1
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Re: VMWare VMotion across two c7000 enclosures using Virtual Connect Flex 10

Stacking supports up to 4 chassis and any network created is available on any chassis, routed through the stacking cables (standard 10GbE cables that go from Chassis to Chassis)

So a network associated with an SUS on C1:B1:X1 (Chassis 1, Bay 1, Uplink 1) can be assigned to a server in Chassis 2,3 or 4 and the traffic routes through the Stacking links.  You can also create networks that are not associated with any uplink/SUS and those networks will also cross stacking links.  This is ideal for vMotion assuming all the nodes of your cluster are inside the "stack".

There is an entire Virtual Connect Cookbook that covers Multi Enclosure Stacking.

And remember, 10GbE DAC Cables are usually 1/10th the price of Fiber 10GbE Cables.

Only problem is they max out at 5/10 meters depending on the cable type (Passive/Active).  So if your chassis are close enough to each other, you can save alot of money getting DACs instead of 10Gb-SR optics.