BladeSystem - General
1748032 Members
5082 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: What to do when the automatic HP SPP firmware update causing problem in device operation ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

What to do when the automatic HP SPP firmware update causing problem in device operation ?

Hi Folks,

As part of the VMware ESXi 5 upgrade project, I just need to know what are your opinion or HP support stance during the customer self-service or firmware update to the existing HP Blade Infrastructure?

Especially when updating the Blade enclosure firmware and the Hp Virtual Connect module which can cause outage and configuration lost.

Since the latest HP SPP 2014.09 has been out in a while along with October cumulative update as well, so what happened if for some reason the automatic firmware update causing the HP Blade Server unable to run the VMware ESXi server ?

I got active support with HP but when I called them, they say that firmware update is a customer own action not something that can be assist with OnSite engineer.

Any thought and comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to HP BladeSystem. - Hp Forum Moderator

Best regards,
7 REPLIES 7
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Re: What to do when the automatic HP SPP firmware update causing problem in device operation ?

Albert,

If Automatic installation is causing the issue, you can choose interative mode and select only the components you want to update or update one  by one.

And with rergards to support, if you have active warranty\contract, Remote support engineer can help you in updating the firware remotely. You can request the  support engineer to assist via Phone or using a Remote session.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes, I do have active support contract. So is i possible to downgrade the broken firmware ?

I wonder what could be the roll back plan for the firmware upgrade process ?

Best regards,
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Yes, If I am not wrong it can be done. However it depends on the issue and any error messages that you are getting (based on the error), Only then we can say downgrade is recommednd or not. (This will require a reboot)

Please let us know which component in particular is causing issue and you are looking for downgrade. 

Also did you get any HP case id when you conatcted the support team? 

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes for sure,

this is just a precautious only.

in my enclosure, I got 16x HP Blade which I would like to perform firmware update. The HP case can only contains one server serial number and HP tech support team was refused my request to include all 16 blades servers with OnSite engineer support that I requested.

Best regards,
Renjiv
Respected Contributor
Solution

Albert,

One case,  only one serial number is possible. Also Onsite Engineer might not be an option. I was referring to remote support engineer. They can help you installing\updating firware online (via Phone or taking a remote session).

So if One unit installation is sucessful, you can try the same method or you can request  help from the online support engineer (phone) to update multiple blades.

Also you can find more details from the below URL:

HP Smart Update Best Practices Implementer Guide

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02049593

SPP guide:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03190790

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Automatic SPP firmware updates can be done on the blades itself, not on the blade infrastructure. It will update ILO, BIOS, NICs, Smart Array, disks, etc.

You should record the versions you have, so you can downgrade in case of (really unexpected) problems.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Alright, I'll read through the note.

Thanks people for replying to my thread.

Best regards,