BladeSystem - General
1747984 Members
4441 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Which HP blade enclosure compatible with an EMC SAN CX4-120 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Which HP blade enclosure compatible with an EMC SAN CX4-120 ?

Basically we need blades equivalent to DL380 G6, squished into a smaller space.

This environment would be where we would put some virtual servers at our DR site datacenter, and connect it to the EMC Clariion CX4-120.
Best regards,
6 REPLIES 6
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Which HP blade enclosure compatible with an EMC SAN CX4-120 ?

Hello,

It is quite wrong question which HP blade enclosure is compatible with EMC CX4. SAN switches should be compatible with SAN arrays as EMC.

Generally, you can choose between C3000 or C7000 enclosure, load them with brocade San blade switches and you have no comaptibility issues.

If you are looking for DL380g6 equivalent, go fo bl460cG7 or G7 - Intel based 2 socket servers, or choose bl465cG7 - Amd based equivalent.

Jan
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Thanks for your reply mate,

ok, so I need to choose one of the proper switch as described in the "Interconnects" depending on the technology that I want to use right ?

while the c7000 is the blade enclosure only, then I shall select HP ProLiant BL460c G7 Server Blade as the component to put into the enclosure ?
Best regards,
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello,

Yes, choose form interconnects depending on the technology You want to use, as you mentioned EMC San storage, I assume you prefer FC(or iScsi) SAN storage network. Fill interconnect with what you need - FC switch, LAN switch, or you can even use pass-through modules if you have plenty of empty ports in your core infrastructure.

Yes, you can put HP ProLiant BL460c G7 Server Blades as the component into the enclosure, c7000 can handle 16 of them, c3000 handles 8 of them.
Of course, then you need enough fans and PSU into enclosure.
In case of c7000, you are able to pus 16 2socket servers in 10U rack space, what is pretty good.

Jan
Server-Support
Super Advisor

many thanks forthe reply and explanation, What├в s the difference with full height & half height blades? is it Just cost?
Best regards,
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
no, most of HP full size blades are 4 socket server - you receive 4 socket, more RAM slots, more onboard NICs, more mezzanine slots.
For example, BL685cG7 is a blade version of DL585G7.
Generaly, 1 full size blade is little bit cheaper than 2 half size blades (the same CPUs and RAM)

Jan
Server-Support
Super Advisor

cool, many thanks for the reply mate.
Best regards,