108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Data path question for Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) - Virtual Media

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Data path question for Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) - Virtual Media

Kelly had an interesting iLO question:

Team,

OK - I think this is a really easy one and sorry for asking, but just want to confirm with someone who knows the answer for sure.   I didn’t know if there could be some hidden features in iLO 2 or iLO 3.

I have a customer who leverages the iLO Virtual Media feature for multiple tasks with their servers, like starting a new Operating System load and firmware updates.

One thing they have done, is placed all of the ISO images on servers within the data centers.  So – when they mount the ISO via the remote console virtual media screen, they use a “net share” path in the file name – example:  \\serverb\share\x.iso

They have been doing for a while and when I first saw this, it made sense, but after thinking about it, I do not believe they are getting the benefit they thought they would get.   Unless the iLO has some built-in ability to go straight to the “share”, I believe all the data will pass though the desktop.

My question, Does the data from the virtual media ISO file take the red path or the yellow patch when using a “share” for the file name?

webpic9.jpg

(I think it is always the red path, the connection to the share is done via the desktop, not by the iLO)

If they did want a “direct” path, I assume they would need to use the HTTP method.

Cullen responded:

Based on my experience, you’re interpretation is correct.  They could get significant performance improvement if they put the ISO on a web server in the data center.

Any other experiences you have had? Suggestions?

1 REPLY 1
Keith Templin
Occasional Collector

Re: Data path question for Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) - Virtual Media

One thing you can look at doing is to having the iLO mount the ISO directly with no middleman.

Check out my blog http://torxsmind.blogspot.com/ where I detailed how to setup a IIS server and how to mount these using the OA.