BladeSystem - General
1748151 Members
3652 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

iLO 2 Not Registering in DNS Sub-domain...

gxtoast
Occasional Advisor

iLO 2 Not Registering in DNS Sub-domain...

Hi Guys,

Our BL460c iLOs (version 2.01) cannot register themselves in any sub-domain, such as "ilo.mydomain.net". Where "mydomain.net" is a two-label Zone and "ilo" is a sub-domain of that Zone.

I first encountered this problem when attempting to register iLOs in a single-label Zone, such as "ilo.mydomain". Where "mydomain" is a single-label Zone and "ilo" is a sub-domain of that Zone.

When I first encountered the inability of iLOs to register themselves I thought it was due to the Zone being a single-label. So I created a two-label Zone, such as "mydomain.net" and configured the iLOs to register themselves directly into that Zone. This worked.

However, what I didn't try was to register the iLOs directly into the single-label (not just a sub-domain of a single-label) until recently. I just tried it and they were able to register themselves directly into the single-label Zone. I was dumbfounded, as it makes no sense for iLOs to have an issue with sub-domains (and not have an issue with a single-label Zone).

So, either it is a problem with iLO ddns registration, or a problem with Microsoft DNS, or both. The DNS is Windows 2008.

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to push EBIPA for all our c7000 Enclosures and problems like this are undermining my argument.

Cheers,

Nick