BladeSystem - General
1751936 Members
4674 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL660cGen9 + MSA2040 mounting device error: (9, None)

SOLVED
Go to solution
JC_Reveles
Occasional Advisor

BL660cGen9 + MSA2040 mounting device error: (9, None)

Hi there,

Looking for some help. I have a new BL660cGen9 (in a C7000 chassis) connected to its own MSA2040. The MSA2040 has one main enclosure and two expansion enclosures: 1+2 config. In the process of configuring the OS, my installation always ends in a fatal error:

Unable to mount filesystem

An error occurred mounting device /dev/mapper/mpathbp1 as /alcatel/temp: mount failed: (9, none). This is a fatal error and the install cannot continue.

Press <Enter> to exit the installer.

Before I attempt to install the OS I do the following:

1) Install latest HP SPP.  Per HP's recommendation I do it in 3 layers: March-2018 => June-2018 => Sep-2018

2) Verify cabling and FC connections from the C7000 to MSA2040 enclosure. C7000 uses: HP B-series 8/24c Blade System SAN Switches to communicate to MSA2040 via FC.

3) BIOS gets updated to use Legacy Boot mode

4) Verification is done from the OA to make sure my blade has FC ports (via its mezzanine card) to MSA2040.

5) From the BIOS the FC PCI is verified that the system recognizes it.

6) Configure 2 logical disks using local HDs on BL660cG9s.

7) On the MSA2040, configure LUNs and volumes required for my application.

8) Install OS ==> Issue Happens!!

We have 3 new systems like this. The first one has already been succesfully installed and deployed. The remining systems are exhibiting this issue.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks!!!

11 REPLIES 11
JC_Reveles
Occasional Advisor

Wondering if the "none" indicates that a physical disk is bad or something related to cabling. Unfortunately nobody is on-site until next week. However, from the MSA, we ran a "show disks" along with other commands. No indication of bad HDs. Furthermore, no flashing lights in front of the MSA enclosures. 

JC_Reveles
Occasional Advisor

Would it be possible that this mounting issue be related to the type of SFPs the SAN switches may contain? If so, does anybody know how to compare the type of the SFPs we have from OA??

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

You can't do that

>From msa gui does link are up ?

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier ├йlectronique a ├йt├й v├йrifi├йe par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
JC_Reveles
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately, until we go to site (next week) we don't have remote access to the MSA manager. However, we collected outputs from the MSA before we left site: 

1) show vdisks

2) show volumes

3) show disks

Is there a way to test the FC connectivity from BIOS on the 6660cg9 blade??

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

What is HBA type ?

>From HP Bios you can see if link are up and volume presented to msa

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier ├йlectronique a ├йt├й v├йrifi├йe par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
JC_Reveles
Occasional Advisor

The BIOS lists the PCI as:

Slot 1 : HPE QMH2672 16Gb 2P FC HBA - FC

JC_Reveles
Occasional Advisor

So my previous comment was basically spelling out the type of Mezzanine card that the blade comes with. The actual HBA FC ports are shown as:

BIOS_HBA_FC.jpg

frenchy94
Regular Advisor

As far a know 2040 doesnt support 16G speed ,so fix HBA speed to 8 on both
side

---
JC_Reveles
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the suggestion. Now, keep in mind that we have 3 new systems. The issues I am describing are in the 2nd and 3rd systems. The first system has not seen this issue. The 1st system has also the same 16GB link listed. This leads us to believe that the 16GB should be backward compatible.