BladeSystem - General
1753521 Members
5406 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

How to downgrade to an older SPP firmware automatically

eyunwen

How to downgrade to an older SPP firmware automatically

I use below method to update firmware on a DL460c Gen8/Gen9  blade with SPP thru iLO CLI.

set /map1/oemhp_vm1/cddr1 oemhp_image=None

set /map1/oemhp_vm1/cddr1 oemhp_image=http://$HTTP_IP:$HTTP_PORT/$HTTP_filename

set /map1/oemhp_vm1/cddr1 oemhp_boot=Connect

set /map1/oemhp_vm1/cddr1 oemhp_boot=Once

reset /system1

in newer version SPP, it will automatically upadte to new version if available.

But when I try to downgrade or rollback to an older version SPP firmware, the automatic mode will ignore the old firmware version.

Is there any configuration or option can be set thru iLO CLI to automatically force downgrade to the old version SPP firmware.

5 REPLIES 5
FabioC1
HPE Pro

Re: How to downgrade to an older SPP firmware automatically

You need Select (Forced)  whe do the inventory

FabioC1 - HPE Pro

Accept or Kudo

Kevin_B
Occasional Advisor

Right, when running SUM off the SPP, the Deploy page has a checkbox to Force downgrades.

SrikanthB
HPE Pro

When we run SPP in offline mode, we boot into the linux OS on the SPP and launches SUM in automatic mode. In this mode, SUM will only update the firmware. 

You can downgrade Firmware using the online method, that is running SUM in the SPP on the OS(using Web GUI or CLI) and force components to downgrade.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

SumeetK
HPE Pro

The method shared by you is to insert a CD-ROM image into the virtual CD-ROM and reset the server to boot from loaded image ( i.e SPP). This will allow SPP image to boot in automatic mode . Post self inventory, it will skip the firmware(s) which are already running at higher version.

For downgrading firmware, you need to use SPP interactive mode which allows you to choose FORCE switch to downgrade firmware for hardware running at latest.

You may refer to HPE SUM user guide for more details :

[Moderator note: Post edited and updated the broken links]

I am HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Kevin_B
Occasional Advisor

Right, sorry. I see you mentioned that you use Automatic mode. To force the downgrades, use Interactive mode, as mentioned by SumeetK, or script the install. If you wish to script the install, the SUM CLI guide can be found here.