BladeSystem - General
1752720 Members
5935 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP G7.1 SPP has an update that can temporarily brick the NC553i 10Gb interfaces BL460c G7

SOLVED
Go to solution
sknickhp
Occasional Advisor

HP G7.1 SPP has an update that can temporarily brick the NC553i 10Gb interfaces BL460c G7

Just an FYI for anyone that might search this in the future

I am redeploying BL460c G7 blades for a project, and needed to patch them for Spectre

I used the HP G7.1 SPP & it of course patches all components in the server.  I updated ~80 blades, and about half of them exhibited an issue with the Emulex CNA 10Gb firmware update.  I used the "Automatic update" and none of the servers displayed an error during the process...all finished & rebooted themselves.

The servers that updated show "Controller Init: Done" on POST screen

The servers that had a bad update show "Controllerx" & repeat that message 15-20 times on POST before booting, and then the OS can't use the 10Gb interfaces

The resolution I found was to use this Emulex bootable ISO hosted on HP's website to flash the firmware back to an older version

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4324631&swItemId=co_108044-1&swEnvOid=4184

OFFLINE Firmware image (.iso) for HP Emulex 10GbE Converged Network Adapters and 10GbE Network Adapters !!NOT SUPPORTED WITH P9500/XP STORAGE ARRAYS!!

Type: Firmware - Network Version: 4.1.450.7(4 Sep 2012) Operating System(s): OS Independent File name: OneConnect-Flash-4.1.450.7.iso (35 MB)

1 REPLY 1
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: HP G7.1 SPP has an update that can temporarily brick the NC553i 10Gb interfaces BL460c G7

This is an old issue since several years, it happens if you upgrade from a 3.x firmware to a 10.x or higher firmware.

No problem, if you upgrade from 3.x to 4.x first, then to a current version.

nce bricked, the update ISO you mentioned can fix it.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!