1748000 Members
4900 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Blade uplink question

Steve McIntosh

Blade uplink question

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to provide a solution to our network security engineer. We currently have 15 proliant bl460c blade servers that are all uplinked via one port on the back of the blade chassis to a 6509 cisco switch. My question is, can I take one of those 15 blade servers and some how map it to a specific port on the built in ws cbs3020-hpq cisco switch on the back of the blade chassis? This blade needs to be connected to a different subnet for security purposes and cannot be trunked with the other 14 blades. Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4
quksilver

Blade uplink question

Of course. The NIC on each blade is connected to an internal port on the switch, and you can configure each of those ports however you like. Just go to one of the regular network engineers, rather than the security one, and they should be able to help. ;) [Updated on 2/19/2009 10:52 AM]
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

Blade uplink question

You will either need an additional uplink connection or have the VLANs tagged on the existing uplink. Use Virtual Connect to create the new network connection with the VLAN identified, and then assign it to the profile for that server blade.
quksilver

Blade uplink question

Is he using an HP Virtual Connect? I thought he said he had a Cisco 3020 blade switch... Shouldn't need a different set of uplinks if it's a Cisco.
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

Blade uplink question

you're right, I assumed he was using VC based on thiws being the virtual connect group. Ignore previous response then.