1753882 Members
7258 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CX4 uplink connectivity options

cjheimantx
Occasional Advisor

We have a large number of HP 1/10G VC ENET Modules and looking to leverage our 10GbE CX4 uplinks. Our core switches (Cisco 6509s) are greater than 15 meters away from our blade racks. We are currently using 1Gb copper to our core switches. I have seen posts that comment on using CX4 connectivity to their core switches but nothing in detail that covers how or if they have to overcome the distance limitation of 15 meters. Would like to see if anyone is using a media converter to extend that distance limitation. This entails going from CX4 to multimode fiber. I have seen products that appear to do this and below is one example. http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/MICRO/fcai/connectors/optical-waveguide.pdf http://www.fujitsu.com/us/news/pr/fcai_20060217-01.html In addition we are looking at the -F VC enet module as a replacement but our current hardware is not full depreciated. [Updated on 11/13/2009 11:11 AM]
2 REPLIES 2
Alex Haddock
Occasional Advisor

Hi, I've not used a media converter but have used blade-networks Top of Rack switches a few times. No issues with Cisco integration and they are pretty helpful. Cost is relatively low so you could consider a top of rack solution along with 10Gb fibre to the core perhaps (you then get very fast inter chassis comms too). http://www.bladenetwork.net/BLADE-RackSwitch-4.html Cheers
cjheimantx
Occasional Advisor

Still browsing this vendors site. Our new infrastructure does have cisco access switches at the rack. Having a little trouble internally and with vendors to get some brains onto this. 99% of my deployments have only enet modules in bays 1 and 2. Bay 1 ports 1-5 and Bay 2 ports 1-4 (1GB copper) are configured in a single SUS and a single channel group connected to core distribution. Muliple vlans are presentedconfigured to the channel group. (sample configuration 4 in the vc for cisco admins doc) Background - Our network architect seemed to have had concerns around spanning tree when planning the connectivity (he is no longer with us) and I am drawing on vague recollection with regards to this. Either way his decision was to connect to core distribution instead of access switches. I am going to sit down with the new network guy today and see if he can shed some light on the possible reasons why we made that decision. With the availability of 10GB at our racks now maybe it is time to review our uplink configurations. Do I lose the capabiltiy to use both LACP and\or 802.1Q when connecting to an access switch? I have to assume at this time that it depends on what type of gear we have at the rack for access switches... However the progress goes, I will post here and maybe help some of the non-network admin types. [Updated on 11/16/2009 8:20 AM] [Updated on 11/16/2009 8:20 AM]