BladeSystem - General
1752801 Members
5622 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Different behaviour between a multiple port vNet & SUS (Shared Uplink Set)

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Different behaviour between a multiple port vNet & SUS (Shared Uplink Set)

Christy had a question setting up her network connections:

I’m currently setting up Flex 10 modules on a customer site the upstream switches are 2 pairs of stacked 3-COM 5500 switches.

I can aggregate 5 x 1GB uplinks from each VC module to create 2 x active/active vNets however if I attempt to create 2 x active/active SUS both appear as standby within VC.

Q 1. Why would an active trunk form when setting up a vNet and not a SUS ?

Q 2. Would someone have the commands required to setup an LACP trunk on the 3 COM switch in order to test/ verify the switch setup  ?

The customer currently has a flat network but is in the planning process of introducing various vLans and the 3rd party tasked with deploying the new ESXi 5 farm has requested the ability to segregate the traffic into the future and their preferred method is using active/active SUS

Reply from Robert:

Are all ports showing active/standby?  All ports will remain in standby until at least one network/vlan is added to the SUS.  I don’t know if that is the problem here, but I have seen this many times.

And input from Chris:

Until a SUS has a vNet associated with it, the SUS will not come out of Linked/Standby.  This is the standard behavior of a SUS within VC.

Questions?