BladeSystem - General
1748014 Members
4608 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Virtual Connect Flex-10 10G (PN 455880-B2) question ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
drolfe
Valued Contributor

HP Virtual Connect Flex-10 10G (PN 455880-B2) question ?

HI All,

Wanting to know if I can use the external ports on this module as a normal ethernet switch in its default config. I.e. if I connect one 10 gig device into port 2 and another device into port 3 will they be able to comunicate ?

The reason I ask is to admin the c7000 blade I plan to remote in from port 2 and then access a management switch connected on port 3 which then gives me the access to the management network for login to Onboard Administrator.

Not sure if it's going to work, trying to find out before hand, enclosure is on the other side of the world from me :-|

Regards, drolfe

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switching > Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) >to HP BladeSystem Virtual Connect.-HP Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Would Port 2 & Port 3 be in different VLANs?

You might be better with a jump-off box running in the virtual environment that would then have connectivity up the management VLAN to this other switch of yours.

drolfe
Valued Contributor

No, the ports would be on the same vlan.

Regards Drolfe
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Pretty sure that won't work - the way I understand it, the ports on an uplink group are link aggregated (so no diversity of devices at the remote end), and ports in different uplink groups don't forward traffic to each other.

Casper42
Respected Contributor
Solution

It won't work. This is one of the reasons the VC Marketing guys say that VC is not a Switch but rather a Network Module.

Basically the uplinks are not transient ports like a normal switch so they never allow traffic to come in one uplink port and then leave on another.
This is done to prevent Spanning Tree type loops on your network that brings things to their knees and sends your Network admin into a tizzy.

Plus if you put both ports into the same SUS or VLAN and VC cannot properly create a LACP LAG, it will automatically fail back to Active/Passive mode and one of your 2 ports would be Administratively down.

Not that answer you wanted I am sure, but hopefully it clears things up. Definitely won' t work.
drolfe
Valued Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me, ended up going with couple of stacked ws-c3750-E and doing a port channel / LACP back to the blade. Everything is working as expected