BladeSystem - General
1753359 Members
5032 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Is there a best practice for SAN zoning an VC 8/24 port FC module?

SOLVED
Go to solution
LouisH
Valued Contributor

Is there a best practice for SAN zoning an VC 8/24 port FC module?

We are implementing a VC Flex-10 and VC FC 8/24 port solution and have some questions. The VC FC module is basically an intelligent pass thru module. We have 4 uplinks into the SAN fabric (actually 4 uplinks from IO bay 3 and 4 unlinks from IO bay 4) The SAN is dual redundant fabrics, A and B.

I thought the best practice is one target and one initator per zone. Is that still the best practice? In other words I would create a zone for server a and use switch port 1, create a second zone for server a and this time use switch port 2, etc. I would do this for all servers using SAN in the enclosure?

The FC module is using 4 connections into the fabric ( in a load balance sort of way) so the server a could use any 1 of the paths into the fabric based on traffic congestion of the "lower" numbered ports.

Can we zone all 4 ports per server in one zone since it may use all ports connected? We are not restricting any servers from using all four paths within Virtual Connect server profile(s).

Regards,

Louis

6 REPLIES 6
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Is there a best practice for SAN zoning an VC 8/24 port FC module?

Hi Louis

Could you refer to the FC Cookbook for HP Virtual Connect, from scenario 2 to see if your question is answered?

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

LouisH
Valued Contributor

Hi Vijayasarathy,

Thanks for your reply. I followed the VC FC cookbook to create, define and assign profiles to server blades.

My question was directed more to the HP SAN switch zoning of the VC FC module connections into the switch.

NPIV is set on the connected ports.

I will try to state my question more clearly. I will be referring to a single fabric (Fabric A). I have a server in bay6 with 8GB HBA. when this server logs in to the SAN fabric, it could be entering the fabric over 1 of 4 fiber connections, as we have 4 of the 8 external ports connected into a 8/40 port HP (brocade) switch. We zone by WWN here. So we can and do move servers to different enclosures as projects change, etc. As long as the server's WWN is in a defined zone, the server logs in.

With that in mind then I only have to zone for one port (of the 4) connected into the fabric for each server?

Regards,

Louis

LouisH
Valued Contributor

Could you also comment on my other question regarding the use of AJ716A (Bseries, retired) and AJ716B (Bseries, active PN)?

Regards,

Louis

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, 

about zoning: when you do WWN zoning you generally just put the WWPN of the HBA and of the target port in the storage device in one zone. Rince and repeat for all HBA ports and all targets. No need to include any ports in switches (at least not with normal SANs without FCR or TI).

LouisH
Valued Contributor

Interesting side note to this is:

When we zoned the server HBA WWNs into the fabric along with a target port, we still couldn't see the HBAs.

It was only when we also added the VC 8/24port FC uplinks WWN's could we see the servers. If we had either one of the two WWNs zoned to a target, we couldn't get to storage. If the HBA, VC FC port connections AND storage target...success!

Maybe this will help someone elso...

Regards,

louis

hpcahmpion
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I understand that typically one would just typicaly use the WWPN for FC switch zoneing. However I believe this requirement changes when one requires NPIV Failover. See the below guide from Emulux and VMware 4.1. I am looking for similar guidance regarding HP VC modules.

Deployment guide Emulex: Virtual HBA Solutions http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.emulex.com%2Fartifacts%2F59b4fdb0-0733-4d6d-979e-5cbaf571dd52%2Felx_wp_all_deploymentguide_virtual-hba.pdf&ei=zKiLVNGjGMGhNvW6hIgB&usg=AFQjCNGlM_NKnhkbyYG7fkcy7k21iurg1g&sig2=R4uoC5OCLGGUci0rGMhHzA