BladeSystem - General
1753963 Members
7476 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Populate Interconnect Bays 1 and 2 Required?

Eric v Willegen
Advisor

Hi There! I'm also new here :) i love it ! My question is the following, sorry no VC but i didn't know where to post. We must install a C7000 with BL460c Blades. This customer wants to use only the extra Quad-port Mezzazine. So we made a design with Interconnect bays 5-6-7-8 to poulate with Ethernet-Switches. We were wondering if it is required that the first 2 interconnect bays 1-2 must be populated or not (is this required)?? Thanks Eric (MPower72 on the forum)
2 REPLIES 2
Jeroen_Kleen
HPE Pro

Hell Eric, As updated on a private discussion on this issue. For VC module / based networking its always mandatory that bay 1 is consumed by a VC module. For pure network switching it might not be always needed to have bay 1 and 2 used however all the NICs boot by default PXE to NIC1. So we strongly advise customers to use always at least interconnect bay 1. This saves you changing on all NICs manually the PXE boot order to NIC3 or NIC4 (if this is at all capable on the quad port NICs but you can confirm this from our quickspecs). Cheers, Jeroen
(I am an HPE employee)
lody
Occasional Advisor

Hi Eric, Is there any reason why that customer wants to do it that way? If you need 4 network interfaces you can use the on-board nics and a dual Nic mezzanine card. Any other Blade installed extra don't need a Mezzanine or extra switches. Dual Nic card gives the flexibility to be installed in Mezz slot 1 or 2. Lodewijk