BladeSystem - General
1752809 Members
6244 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Ports dissappearing in Virtual Connect Manager (VCM)

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Ports dissappearing in Virtual Connect Manager (VCM)

Andrew had a customer issue he was working:

I'm working an issue with Flex10 external ports that are not available to be assigned to a SUS/vnet - we have found that the external facing ports are labeled as "stacking links".

What is a stacking link connection looking for that causes two external facing ports to be configured as "stacking links" in VCM/Flex10s?

External facing ports on the Flex10s are connected to a single 3COM 8800.

FLex10 #1 port x2  SPF+ 10GB SR

FLex10 #2 port x2  SPF+ 10GB SR

These ports are not available to be assigned to a SUS.

These ports are labeled as "Stacking link".

A stacking connection appears to be seen going through the single 3COM 8800 core switch.

We have also tested with RJ45 SFP+ connected to the single 8800 - with the same results - both links are labeled as "Stacking link".

FLex10 #1 port x2  SPF+ RJ45

FLex10 #2 port x2  SPF+ RJ45

Testing the RJ45 SFP+ with a single HP Procuvre 4800 - works as expected - we are able to communicate from the OS to the network.

OA                          3.21

FLex10                    3.18

Blade BL460 G6 -     BIOS I24 01/29/2011

iLO3                        2.05

Their appears to be inappropriate cross talk between the two ports going through the 3COM 8800 (FW 3.01.32S256R).

Eric responded:

It’s not inappropriate cross talk between the modules.  All VC uplink ports send LLDP broadcast frames, to a defined MAC address range, periodically to determine the connected device.  If another VC module responds, the uplink is formed as a stacking link between the modules.  The LLDP MAC address range is defined in the 802.1D spec.  Devices honoring this spec should not forward the LLDP frames destined for that broadcast MAC address.  It would appear that the 3COM device is not honoring the spec, or perhaps there is a setting enabled that permits it to forward those frames.

Carl also replied:

I have seen this before, with a “dumb” switch connect to the VC modules. 

If the upstream switch does not filter LLDP packets – as an enterprise class switch should – then multiple ports across VC modules will appear stacked.

I am not familiar with the 3com 8800 – but would check the configuration on it with respect to LLDP.

Andrew had it working :

We believe we have this working.... going through final configuration setup now.

The 8800 allows the LLDP packets to be passed through - even though the 8800 does not support LLDP.

ACLs on the ports connected to the FLex10s are configured to deny LLDP frame types from being passed.

Any other comments or questions?

2 REPLIES 2
outrun

Re: Ports dissappearing in Virtual Connect Manager (VCM)

Having a simalar issue with 3com 8800 passing LLDP when it should not.

Do anyone have the ACL's applied.

I was trying

acl name blocklldp link
rule 1 deny ingress 0180-c200-000E 0-0-0

But it does not seem to like on the 10G ports

Applying Acl blocklldp rule 1 failed! Reason: Not supported!
Applying failed and rolled back!

anyone have this working and blocking correctly

Thanks

nw1_engineer

Re: Ports dissappearing in Virtual Connect Manager (VCM)

Hi,

could you advise me on the syntax used for configuring the ACL to filter LLDP frames?