1752570 Members
5378 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Q about one Etherchannel bundled to two different switches

Bob Nida
Advisor

Q about one Etherchannel bundled to two different switches

I'm getting into this after it is designed and into production.  Whe are having some issues with irregular communication interuptions. 

I've come to understand that we have a flex10 and a 1/10 VCs configured to be bundled into ONE etherchannel from the prespective of the chassis.  However, the choice was made to put the each VC's uplinks 1G ports to two different Cisco switches.  Each Cisco switch is configured for its own unique port-channel.  The Cisco hardware is about 6 years old and not the newer products capable of VSS, and we suspect we cannot have ports from two different switches operating as the same port-channel on the Cisco switches.

It seems concerning to me that the HP VCs believe they are a part of one port-channel, but the switches are not (and potentially cannot).

Thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

Re: Q about one Etherchannel bundled to two different switches

VC doesn't support cross-module port-channel port, so you need to create at least one bundle for flex-10 links and another bundle for vc1/10 links and do the same thing on cisco side.

are you saying that you have one flex-10 in I/O bay 1 and another 1/10 VC module in I/O bay 2? Is this c7000 enclosure? you need to have the same module type for horizontal bays.
My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com

Bob Nida
Advisor

Sorry, Flex-10s in 1 and 2.  1-10s in 5 and 6.

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

Can you post a picture of the SUS's? From what I've seen you should be seeing Active/Standby not Active/Active with your config.
Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

it's also better to give us a complete picture about how cables are connected across these 4 VC modules and Cisco switches.

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com