5373 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Removing enclosure from a Virtual Connect (VC) Domain

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

Removing enclosure from a Virtual Connect (VC) Domain

Jeff had a Virtual Connect Domain question:

I have a question from a customer about removing an enclosure from a domain.  They have 2 enclosures in a single VC domain.  VCM is running on enclosure A.  They want to maintain the domain configuration, network settings, and server profiles for enclosure B and remove enclosure A from the domain.  Having a single domain seems to be an issue for them when it comes to server availability.  So the goal is to create two domains.  What happens to VCM if enclosure A is deleted from the domain?  Will it then come up with the IP address for the interconnects in enclosure B?

Vincent replied to Jeff:

If enclosure A is currently the master of the domain, you can’t remove it from the domain. You could remove enclosure B and create another domain on it.

Any other comments or questions?  Here is the link to the Multi-Enclosure Stacking document:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01990371/c01990371.pdf

6 REPLIES 6
mvpel
Trusted Contributor

Re: Removing enclosure from a Virtual Connect (VC) Domain

Yes, but how do you remove an enclosure? That document doesn't seem to cover it.

Psychonaut
Respected Contributor

It's on page 200 in the user guide: http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03478464-3.pdf.  I've done it, and it worked fine.  As it says just make sure to disassociate everything on that enclosure from the domain.

dazzy2013
Visitor

Hi Vincent,

Can i please have the pdf file again  that illustrates the procedure for Removing enclosure from a Virtual Connect (VC) Domain , link is not working..

Appreciate a prompt response.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

dazzy2013
Visitor

Hi Vincent/ Dennis,

Would like to understand why master enclosurecan't be removed ? What's technically preventing that to happen ? So if I want to delete master I have to delete the entire domain and rebuild is what needs to happen this will be quite disruptive to all the blades, can you suggest a solution to separate the master enclosure from the remote enclosure.. please comment or suggest..
lobito48
Occasional Collector

Hi dazzy2013. I have the same case. Did you get a solution?
Thank you in advance