3640 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrade to Virtual Connect firmware 3.60

Devan10
Occasional Visitor

Upgrade to Virtual Connect firmware 3.60

Hi,

I would like to know how many people have upgraded their virtual connect to firmware 3.60.  We are using this in our standard since it is the FW version deployed in SPP 2012.06.0 (B). 

We were performing upgrades from 3.17 to 3.60 using the "-oe manual" method mentioned in HP Document c03395976 but always had an issue where the second module would not come back up in a timely fashion after the reboot and would require a second reset. 

After experiencing this issue on 2 chassis we were recommended to try upgrading from 3.17 to 3.51 to 3.60. The upgrade from 3.17 to 3.51 was completed smoothly but the upgrade from 3.51 to 3.60 did not work properly and required some extended work to resolve. 

I would like to know if other people have had success upgrading from 3.51 to 3.60 and if so which method was used for updating.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade to Virtual Connect firmware 3.60

Hi,

I upgraded +20 C7000 enclosures from 3.30 to 3.60 during the day, however without the manual procedure... For me everything ran smoothly, as long as the teaming of the servers is OK...

But this was my 4th patch round already so I was quite confident...

Why do U want to do the manual option? I did it also before but for me the regular auto update is working fine for me... Never had issues...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Matt Sebel
Advisor

Bart,

Would you mind sharing with me a little info about how you maintain those 20+ enclosures? What tools are you using to upgrade firmware and just basic outline of steps you take?

Thanks!

Hongjun Ma
Trusted Contributor

this is a known issue for VC pre-3.18 upgrade to 3.60. please check

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03395976

My VC blog: http://hongjunma.wordpress.com

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Since the enclosures are spread accross several countries accross Europe, and so we do not have stacking or VCEM, we use the regular tools like VCSU and SUM...

For sure always check the dependencies between OA, VC and blade (ILO, BIOS and PMC) firmwares...

SUM has all this knowledge build in but for some kind of reason I want to keep track of what is going on and so we stage ourselves the updates...

4 patching rounds ago we did all the updates during the weekend in the evening, currently we do the updates during the week... If U are sure that the NIC teaming in the OS is correctly working, U can do the upgrades during the day (in our case)...

kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Devan10
Occasional Visitor

Great, thank you for the information.  I did perform the upgrade from 3.17 to 3.60 on Friday with the "manual" failover option with no significant issues. 

After pushing the 3.60 firmware update I logged into the 3.17 VCM and initiated the reset of the secondary module (bay 1) from OA and monitored the status in VCM.  After verifying that the checkpoint was valid I initiated the "Reset Virtual Connect Manager" option with the "Force Failover" checkbox selected to move the primary to the newly upgraded module.  It did take about 15 minutes for me to get to the state where I could log into the 3.60 VCM on this module.  After verifying the domain looked healthy I initiated the reset on bay 2 and waited for the VCM to report bay 2 was in sync.

In the end it did take a while to perform the upgrade but we did not experience any errors or issues.