1753280 Members
5459 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VC-FC vs. MMDS 9124e

Jim Fentress

VC-FC vs. MMDS 9124e

Can anyone explain the advantages and disadvantages? Is there an advantage to using all VC for Eth and FC?
6 REPLIES 6
mkendall
Frequent Advisor

VC-FC vs. MMDS 9124e

Hi, by all do you mean VC for both Ethernet and FC? Or for all Ethernet and FC connections? Either way, the benefits of cable consolidation and enabling management of servers within the server administration domain apply to Ethernet and FC. By the way, the Ethernet module is a prerequisite for the FC module. So you can do just Ethernet but not do just VC FC. Regards, Mike
violetlight
Occasional Advisor

VC-FC vs. MMDS 9124e

I assume from the subject that you aren't factoring in the cable management stuff etc, since you're looking at an embedded switch vs VC. Therefore I'd concentrate on: - less admin since you have an easier web admin interface rather than a switch to manage - ability to set WWPNs in software and thus replace servers easily - virtualisation benefits - scripting possibilities - multiple SAN uplinks without worrying about VSANs Many of the other benefits such as VLAN passthrough etc don't apply to FC. We bought it though, since we consider the above benefits to be worth it. A lot of other stuff could be done though. Simon.
sahilhpatel

VC-FC vs. MMDS 9124e

Simon, I am looking into failover server scripting withing the enclosure. Do you have any more information on it? Is it easy to write a script?
violetlight
Occasional Advisor

VC-FC vs. MMDS 9124e

No - I'm afraid we haven't tried it out yet - we're keeping a spare blade on the shelf to put in the failed bay instead. Later we plan to move to a 'warm spare' model using scripting. Does anyone else have information on this, since I'd also be interested? Simon.
David Billot
Frequent Advisor

VC-FC vs. MMDS 9124e

Yes, VC-FC and it's use of NPIV along with VSANs are complimentary technologies that work well together. With regard to VC scripting, this feature is not available today. However, it will be included in a firmware release in the near future.
Jonas Salengue
Advisor

VC-FC vs. MMDS 9124e

Response for "bladenewbie" Hi, You can use just the FC module as a pass-thru without any management, but there is a port mapping to use that. If you want a management to connect blades to a storage, you need, how Mike says, a VC Enet because the VCM software is located into this VC module. Regards, Salengue