1753599 Members
6381 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VC FLexFabric - Configuring Mappings on Server Profiles

hairyfish
Occasional Advisor

VC FLexFabric - Configuring Mappings on Server Profiles

I have a C7000 with 4 VC FlexFabrics (Bays 1-4), and each Server has onboard FlexFabric plus a FlexFabric NIC.
The plan is to ignore the Mezz cards and the 3rd and 4th FlexFabric for now, and just setup the onboard ones( the others are for future use).

So I'm trying to setup the Flex with 3 pairs of NICs (LOMb a, c and d) and 2 HBAs (LOM b), and I get all the way through until I apply the server profile to the server, but VC only maps the first 3 pairs of LOMs to the onboard card (a, b & c), the final one it maps to the Mezz card (don't want to use this).

If I pull out the Mezz card it maps as expected, but the strange part is if I copy this good profile to a new server with a Mezz card, VC then changes the mapping for LOM d to the mezz card (which I don't want). I can't see any way to change this other than pull out all the Mezz cards. Is there some way to manually map the LOMs?

2 REPLIES 2
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Re: VC FLexFabric - Configuring Mappings on Server Profiles

You're contradicting yourself a little here.

"So I'm trying to setup the Flex with 3 pairs"
"but VC only maps the first 3 pairs of LOMs to the onboard card "

Are you doing 3 pair or 4?

FlexFabric by default maps out 1b and 2b as Fibre Channel in the FCoE section of the Server Profile. If you want to use those 2 as NICs, you need to delete them from the FCoE section.

Now, with that said, if you have a NIC/CNA adapter in Mezz 1, it WILL show up in the server profile (after you hit apply) so you need to simply work around it. Usually it would show up as NICs 3 and 4 as it sneaks in between the a and b vNICs.
The way to work around it is to add NIC entries for the card, but leave them set to "unassigned". This will still show them to the OS, but they will show as though they are unplugged from the Switch.
hairyfish
Occasional Advisor

Re: VC FLexFabric - Configuring Mappings on Server Profiles

Ok I'll try to explain it better:

What I want:

Onboard CNA:

Lom a ->Network 1

Lom b -> SAN

Lom c ->Network 2

Lom d -> Network 3

Mezz CNA:

Lom a -> Nothing

Lom b -> Nothing

Lom c-> Nothing

Lom d ->Nothing

What VC does when I apply a server profile (even though I tell not it do it):

Onboard CNA:

Lom a ->Network 1

Lom b -> SAN

Lom c ->Network 2

Lom d -> Nothing

Mezz CNA:

Lom a -> Network 3

Lom b -> Nothing

Lom c-> Nothing

Lom d ->Nothing

Nothing I've tried will fix this, except pulling out the extra Mezz cards and Flexfabrics