1752703 Members
5523 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VC Security Concerns

keverett

VC Security Concerns

I have given the VC presentation several times. More often than not, the customers ask how security is handled within the enclosure. I have not been able to identify any documentation that addresses those concerns. Can anyone assist? Also, one customer asked when connecting to a SAN, how could he be certain which blade is associated with a MAC address? Thanks for the assistance, Keith
5 REPLIES 5
jfboland

VC Security Concerns

I have a similar question. How would VC work in an environment where (SAN) port zoning and port binding is required?
mkendall
Frequent Advisor

VC Security Concerns

jefallen

VC Security Concerns

Port Zoning is not reccomended by HP whether you use VC or not. It would work with VC but we would reccomend you not use VC-assigned WWNN and WWPN. As far as knowing which blade has which MAC, there is a table in VC that lists each server bay profile and this table shows all the MAC/VLAN/WWNN/WWPN assigned to the server in that bay. Lastly, on secuurity, what is it you would like to know? We allow varying levels of administration based on the login used (some can control downlinks, some can control uplinks, some can do both). General LAN and SAN security doesn't really change with VC when compared to traditional interconnects. Thanks for doing the presentatations - it's a killer product and probably the most anticiapted I have ever seen. Keep up the good work.
tampabhn

VC Security Concerns

Why is zoning not recommended?
Markus Liebl

VC Security Concerns

It's only port zoning that isn't recommended. You can use WWN zoning as you are used to. Benefit is that it doesn't matter to which pysical blade the VC proflie is assigned and it also doesn't matter which of the uplinks is used for the connection to the switch.