5700 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

VCEM and DCC and ESX 4.01

chuckk281
Trusted Contributor

VCEM and DCC and ESX 4.01

Ken had a customer issue with DCC and VMware:

****************************************************************************************************************

Hi  all,

Is it possible to get VCEM to be able to modify a FlexNic Bandwidth of a server running ESX 4.01 without shutting down the server.

VCEM seems to always demand that the server be shutdown before the profile can be changed.

Environment:

Insight Dynamics : 6.02

HP Insight Software 6.0 with update 1 and patch kit

VCEM 6.01

BL460c G6

System ROM I24 01/14/2010

Blade firmware from Version 9 of SmartStart

ILO 1.81

OA Version 3

VC 2.32

ESX Broadcomm driver downloaded 2.0.7c

I understand the issues with the Power off DCC state but my question is can we demonstrate DCC today from VCEM.

*************************************************************************************************************

Vincent had a solution:

***************************************************************************************************************

Yes, VCEM can change the speed of a FlexNIC without powering off the server if the Broadcom firmware and driver are up-to-date. I don’t know what exactly is included in “Blade firmware from Version 9 of SmartStart” but the driver version you quote looks wrong: 2.0.7c is for 1Gb Broadcom NICs. For Flex-10 Broadcom NICs you want this one http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3884098&prodNameId=3884099&swEnvOID=4040&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-650963a129db4c0ea9787e16db

*************************************************************************************************************

And then Ken replied:

*******************************************************************************************************

Hi Vincent,

Perfect. Once I downloaded the correct driver it worked.

Thanks for the reply.

******************************************************************************************************

Good to go. Have you been using DCC and Smartlink?